This Day in Baseball History....

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: This Day in Baseball History....

Post by Radbird »

April 16 - Windy City Edition

The Cardinals deal a declining Dizzy Dean to Chicago for pitchers Curt Davis and Clyde Shoun and $200,000. During his four years in the Windy City, the future Hall of Fame right-hander will compile a 16-8 record for the Cubs.
The future super station WGN-TV televises a baseball game for the first time. With Jack Brickhouse doing the play-by-play, the White Sox beat the Cubs 4-1 in the first game of the Windy City Classic played at Wrigley Field.
The Cubs set the record for worst start in National League history when they extend their losing streak to 12 games with a 4-0 loss to Colorado at Wrigley Field. Chicago surpasses the overall Senior Circuit mark of 0-11 established in 1884 by the Detroit Wolverines.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Ah Tommy Herr...now that's a good second baseman.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

April 22

1988: Two weeks into the season, the World Champion Twins deal their reliable right fielder Tom Brunansky to the Cardinals for second baseman Tommy Herr. Minnesota had hoped their newly acquired switch-hitting infielder would be an ideal No. 2 hitter in front of Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek, but the 32 year-old will hit .263, playing in only 86 games due to injuries.

2000: Homers by Mark McGwire and Fernando Tatis help to establish a National League record for the most team home runs in April when the Cardinals go yard 42 times. The Braves had hit 41 home runs in April of 1998.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

April 23

Fernando Tatis becomes the only player in baseball history to hit two grand slams in one inning when he collects eight RBIs in one frame to breaks the old record of six. The Cardinal third baseman hits both off Dodger starter Chan Ho Park in an 11-run third of the team's 12-5 victory at Chavez Ravine.
I had totally forgotten that Eric Davis was a Cardinal. If he wasn’t hurt, Tatis may not have become a Cardinals legend.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

April 24

1962: The first game in franchise history against the visiting Cardinals features many familiar faces on the opposing team when the Colt .45's beat the Redbirds, 4-3. Houston had been the farm club for St. Louis, and many of their players had come through Texas on their way to the big leagues.

1987: At Cleveland Stadium, Rickey Henderson becomes the first player in baseball history to hit a home run off two different 300-game winners in the same game. The left fielder's solo homer in the eighth inning off Phil Niekro and his two-run blast in the ninth off Steve Carlton aren't enough to thwart the Tribe's 6-5 walk-off victory over the Yankees.

2012: For the first time in major league history, four different pitchers combine to walk four consecutive batters when the Marlins hurlers load the bases and then force in a run in a 2-1 loss to the Mets. With two outs in the seventh inning, Miami starter Josh Johnson walks his final batter, Lucas Duda, then Randy Choate issues a free pass to pinch-hitter Justin Turner, to be followed by Steve Cishek's base-on-balls to Scott Hairston, and finally Mike Dunn forces home Josh Thole with the tying run with the last of the only walks given up by the Miami staff in the Citi Field contest.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

April 30

After trying to lay down a bunt, Doug Griffin is knocked unconscious by a Nolan Ryan fastball, resulting in the Red Sox second baseman missing two months of the season with a concussion and suffering temporary hearing loss. The beaning, which most likely led to the premature end to the Boston infielder's career, makes the Angel right-hander rethink his role as an intimidator on the mound.

Cardinals Mark McGwire and Jim Edmonds go deep, helping St. Louis finish the month of April with 55 home runs, tying the National League mark for homers hit by a team in a month. The Redbirds share the record with the 1947 New York Giants, whose sluggers included Johnny Mize, Willard Marshall, and Walker Cooper.

The Cardinals and Cubs both set a franchise record for the most victories in April. The Redbirds beat the Reds, 5-2, for their 18th win of the month, and Chicago takes their 17th game, routing the Brewers, 19-5, at Wrigley Field.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

May 3

1947: In a controversial move, Branch Rickey trades five Dodgers, including southerner Kirby Higby, to the Pirates for five-foot, six-inch left-hand-hitting outfielder Al Gionfriddo and $100,000. Some believe 'the Mahatma' made the deal to send a message to the team about his commitment to breaking the color barrier and his support of Jackie Robinson, the first black to play in the major leagues this century.

1975: Nolan Ryan, after taking the mound against the Rangers in the second inning at Arlington Stadium, finds a rubber snake and a large rubber crab when he reaches for the rosin bag. The Angels right-hander, who gets the victory when the Halos beat Texas, 4-2, suspects opposing manager Billy Martin for the shenanigans, calling the prank a "Little League stunt".

2006: Major League Baseball will sell the Nationals to a group led by Theodore Lerner, a Maryland-based real estate developer, for $450 million. In 2002, the 29 other big league owners collectively bought the Montreal Expos franchise for $120 million, and then moved the failing franchise to Washington, D.C. last season.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

The first game ever played at Busch Memorial Stadium is an extra inning affair. Lou Brock singles in the winning run in the 12th inning, giving the Cardinals a 4-3 victory over the Braves.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »