The Cardinal Way is the Only Way

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

The Cardinal Way is the Only Way

Post by CardsofSTL »

ESPN article...not a terribly long read and somewhat interesting so I thought I would share.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2315 ... y-st-louis
A couple of years ago after a game against St. Louis, former Cubs catcher Miguel Montero was asked what is distinctive about the Cardinals. He said admiringly, "Those guys are like robots. They all play a certain way and you never know who they are. But they are all good."
Consistency and continuity are the organization's chief traits, as is efficient spending, and the emphasis on a homegrown foundation. These are the things that have always worked with that franchise in that market. But with competition at the top of the majors being what it is right now, what happens if the Cardinal Way points only to another October with no playoff baseball?

Probably nothing. In St. Louis, the Cardinal Way is the only way.

Momo
Veteran Player

Re: The Cardinal Way is the Only Way

Post by Momo »

But with competition at the top of the majors being what it is right now, what happens if the Cardinal Way points only to another October with no playoff baseball?

Probably nothing.
This seems like damning with faint praise. We've got a fanbase and an organization with its head so up its own ass, that if they miss the playoffs, there really is a chance they do nothing. No flipping some prospects before their value depreciates further, no firing Matheny, no coaches shakeup.

And wouldn't that be a real humdinger if it were true.

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

Momo wrote:
But with competition at the top of the majors being what it is right now, what happens if the Cardinal Way points only to another October with no playoff baseball?

Probably nothing.
This seems like damning with faint praise. We've got a fanbase and an organization with its head so up its own ass, that if they miss the playoffs, there really is a chance they do nothing. No flipping some prospects before their value depreciates further, no firing Matheny, no coaches shakeup.

And wouldn't that be a real humdinger if it were true.
No worries about THAT, unfortunately.

I guess ESPN don't know we finished dbl digits out of 1st place in the Central these last 2 years. Not even a sorry ass wild card!

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Sounds like the man knows what he's talking about:
All of this makes 2018 a pivotal season in St. Louis. But if you're waiting on the Cardinals to betray their time-honored processes in hopes of overtaking the teams ahead of them in the forecasts, don't hold your breath.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:I thought this fit here.

What did the Cardinals see in Jose Martinez?
This is a fun nugget from that story:
Martinez leads the club with 29 hard-hit balls (defined by Statcast™ as exceeding a 95-mph exit velocity), which he's dispersed indiscriminately: 14 on hits, 15 on outs. The hard outs means he is actually underperforming his metrics, despite his gaudy slash line.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

If Jose is for real and Pham repeats his 2017....then yeah "I think we might be good." If those two guys plus Ozuna all get going at the same time, plus ol' reliable Marp, it's a scary lineup. But that's a lot of "ifs". So we'll see.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

pioneer98 wrote:If Jose is for real and Pham repeats his 2017....then yeah "I think we might be good." If those two guys plus Ozuna all get going at the same time, plus ol' reliable Marp, it's a scary lineup. But that's a lot of "ifs". So we'll see.
If we can get Fowler out of his rut then that's a bonus plus you have Paulie D hitting bombs.