The Cardinals Should Utilize a Six-Man Rotation

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: The Cardinals Should Utilize a Six-Man Rotation

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Just skip Wainwright when you have the opportunity. Like today for example.
Hard agree.

These are reasons why Matheny is such an inferior manager.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'm tired of sacrificing our best hand for today for what may or may not be tomorrow.

Win today's game. Period.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Guys, if Waino is in the rotation, he can't be skipped like some 22 year old number 5 starter. You don't treat an all-time great/$20 million a year/leader of your team player that way.

Fat_Bulldog

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

dmarx114 wrote:Guys, if Waino is in the rotation, he can't be skipped like some 22 year old number 5 starter. You don't treat an all-time great/$20 million a year/leader of your team player that way.
Fine. DFA him and bring up Flaherty.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:Guys, if Waino is in the rotation, he can't be skipped like some 22 year old number 5 starter. You don't treat an all-time great/$20 million a year/leader of your team player that way.
He won't be DFA'd. He would just be DL'd with a fake injury or sent to the bullpen if he can't contribute as a starter.

But more to the point, Waino's use/role is not solely a Matheny decision. This goes up to Mo.

Fat_Bulldog

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

dmarx114 wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
He won't be DFA'd. He would just be DL'd with a fake injury or sent to the bullpen if he can't contribute as a starter.

But more to the point, Waino's use/role is not solely a Matheny decision. This goes up to Mo.
File Waino's use/role decision under [expletive] I don't care about.

Let's win now!

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

He was great 2009-2014. Since then? He could have been easily replaced by better younger talent.

Even the Giants kicked Matt Cain off the rotation and he played longer and better than Wainwright. Time to let go of the past and eat the damn money!

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Just skip Wainwright when you have the opportunity. Like today for example.
You kidding? He's the highest paid pitcher. NO high paid Cardinal is sat for a better, younger, lower paid player with an upside. That's just the Cardinal way. (see Matt Holliday)

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
You kidding? He's the highest paid pitcher. NO high paid Cardinal is sat for a better, younger, lower paid player with an upside. That's just the Cardinal way. (see Matt Holliday)
We sacrificed how many wins due to this dumb logic, I wonder?

Holliday was barely above replacement his last two seasons with the Cardinals and Wainwright has been awful for awhile. FIP trend climbing up to 4.40 now. In four seasons he's given us basically what he gave us for 2014 alone.

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
We sacrificed how many wins due to this dumb logic, I wonder?

Holliday was barely above replacement his last two seasons with the Cardinals and Wainwright has been awful for awhile. FIP trend climbing up to 4.40 now. In four seasons he's given us basically what he gave us for 2014 alone.
Notice the lack of response to your and my posts? You should have been around here 3 years ago when I made this point on Holliday, and last year on the slow, bad baserunning, below average fielding, .240 hitting walk machine that's our highest paid infieder, Carpenter.

The forum went crazy defending the both of them. Perhaps a few of the experts around here will jump in with some defense of old man Wainwrong.