Bullpen Circle Of Trust

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Bullpen Circle Of Trust

Post by lukethedrifter »

Where will Wainwright fit in? Making final rehab start in Memphis on Monday.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Wainwright takes Cecil or Shreve's place.

I'd wait for roster expansion though for him.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

If they don't have to activate him before expansion I wouldn’t. They will be so close they could have him replace a starter after his start, then call that starter back up 9/1 and he wouldn’t actually miss a start.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Diddy wrote:If they don't have to activate him before expansion I wouldn’t. They will be so close they could have him replace a starter after his start, then call that starter back up 9/1 and he wouldn’t actually miss a start.
Yeah, he won't be here until 9/1. Nothing to worry about from a regular season roster standpoint.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Adam Wainwright (elbow) threw four scoreless innings Monday with Triple-A Memphis in his latest rehab start.
Wainwright allowed three hits and walked two while striking out four. He got stretched out to 61 pitches. The veteran right-hander has now tossed 17 scoreless innings with an 18/2 K/BB ratio as he makes his way back from an elbow injury. At this point, there's a good chance he'll contribute with the Cardinals in September, but his exact role is to be determined.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Aug 28 - 9:29 AM

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

So how do the rotation and bullpen look when both Wainwright and Wacha are back? Also, isn't it kind of weird that Carlos Martinez is being limited to the bullpen while the other guys are going back into the rotation?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Secret Weapon wrote:So how do the rotation and bullpen look when both Wainwright and Wacha are back? Also, isn't it kind of weird that Carlos Martinez is being limited to the bullpen while the other guys are going back into the rotation?
White privilege.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Secret Weapon wrote:So how do the rotation and bullpen look when both Wainwright and Wacha are back? Also, isn't it kind of weird that Carlos Martinez is being limited to the bullpen while the other guys are going back into the rotation?
They cited a difficulty in finding enough innings for all three (Wacha, Waino, CMart) to be able to be stretched out to serve as starters. Putting CMart in the bullpen got him back on the active roster quicker.

I would also say CMart's stuff excels out of the bullpen; so not bad having him there where they can limit his innings to prevent any additional re-injury.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

CardsofSTL wrote:
They cited a difficulty in finding enough innings for all three (Wacha, Waino, CMart) to be able to be stretched out to serve as starters. Putting CMart in the bullpen got him back on the active roster quicker.

I would also say CMart's stuff excels out of the bullpen; so not bad having him there where they can limit his innings to prevent any additional re-injury.
That's just a dumb excuse though, right? You couldn't find enough innings between A, AA, and AAA for 3 guys to get some starts and stretch out? Maybe his injury limiting how long he can actually throw in a game is the only reason I could think to keep him out of the rotation.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Secret Weapon wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:

That's just a dumb excuse though, right? You couldn't find enough innings between A, AA, and AAA for 3 guys to get some starts and stretch out? Maybe his injury limiting how long he can actually throw in a game is the only reason I could think to keep him out of the rotation.
You also have Ponce down there needing to stay sharp...and other arms as well. I don't know if it is a great excuse; but it is the one they used.