Bullpen Circle Of Trust

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Bullpen Circle Of Trust

Post by dmarx114 »

I have been meaning to start this thread for a few years, but Holland finally pushed me over the edge last night.

In my head, I have an order of who in the current bullpen I trust. So think of this thread like power rankings, which can change on a daily basis.

My rankings as of today:

1. Hicks (I am surprised when someone even makes contact against him)
2. Norris (can't believe I typed that out)
3. Brebbia (let him pitch!)
4. Lyons (arrow pointing down a tad)
5. Leone (arrow pointing up a tad)
6. Bowman (Matheny didn't use him in a close game last night....interesting)
7. Gregerson (here until he shows us something)
8. Holland (big drop off from 7 to 8. As bad as can be right now.)

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Re: Bullpen Circle Of Trust

Post by Fan_In_NY »

I like this post and we can track this as the season goes on. There is always going to be a lot of variability through the season and I can't wait to see how that changes. At this point I may even put Norris above Hicks. For all of the people that cry out that the Cards need to spend money, sign free agents, etc the bottom 2 guys on this list are making the most money.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

I only trust the top 2 on your list right now. We really need Lyons and at least 2 of the 3 of Leone, Gregerson, & Holland to start locking people down.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i know he was on the team last year too but i still feel like i'm not really aware of who brebbia is/his pitching style...feel like i've seen more of leone.

gotta give bud credit, he's been clutch.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Bullpens are volatile and it always seems more so in the beginning of the season.

I like this thread and agree with the assessment.

Hopefully the bottom folks start trending better soon.

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

It's actually really comforting that our worst bullpen arms are two veterans with established track records of success that should bounce back and not the Miguel Socolovichs of the world.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

1. Norris
2. Brebbia
3. Hicks
4. Leone
5. Gregerson
6. Lyons
7. Holland
8. Bowman

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Holland is slowly coming back to form.

I'd say he's moved up past Lyons, come on. Lyons is worse than Bowman at this point. And Matheny will start to trust him now that he's getting through an inning without a bunch of walks.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Girschmo: Mike, this is a safe place. A place where we can feel free sharing our feelings. Think of my office as a nest in a tree of trust and understanding. We can say anything here.

Matheny: Anything? Well, uh I guess I, deep down, am feeling a little confused. I mean, suddenly, you become manager, and you're supposed to be this entirely different guy. I don't feel different. I mean, take yesterday for example. We were monitoring the bullpen, watching a warmup, which was lovely. And, uh, I happen to look over at a certain point during the warmup and see Bowman get up to get loose, and I found myself wondering what he might look like as closer. Him closing. Uh, odds are he's probably a basic, white, average reliever. But I sort of think, well, maybe he's a power pitcher, maybe he's a finesse pitcher. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about. You know, and uh, and I started feeling... what? What, I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

I would hate to demote him. I'd be more prone to manipulate the 10-day disabled list and come up with some ailment. Interestingly enough, Lyons (12 appearances) and Norris (11 appearances) have pitched in more games than Bowman, who is tied with Leone and Hicks with 10 appearances. Sam Tuivailala and Ryan Sherriff are close to returning from the disabled list, so that should be a huge boost to help ease the burden. It was interesting to learn that the Cardinals wanted to stay away from Norris even though they had Monday off. With Gregerson back and Holland seemingly ready to take over high-leverage situations, Mike Matheny and Mike Maddux should have more options to give Bowman, Hicks and Norris more breaks.
by jortiz 1:13 PM

Would bowman benefit from getting optioned to Memphis to refresh?
by Ron 1:07 PM