Tyler O'Neill called up

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Tyler O'Neill called up

Post by 33anda3rd »

Right but if they regress to their career marks, Marco is still 60 points higher than the second-highest, and the second-highest is a respectable .301.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking
I laughed. Thank you.

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

33anda3rd wrote:Right but if they regress to their career marks, Marco is still 60 points higher than the second-highest, and the second-highest is a respectable .301.
Sure, I guess any discussion of how his peripherals would impact his future production depends on whether or not we think his newfound strikeouts are sustainable.

They're probably not, but I suppose I could imagine them being so since I've liked his stuff for years. I don't think he's ever going to get to a point where I think "Damn, we got scammed," but I could see him healthily being a back-end starter for them with some positive regression (via some proper defense).

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Re Marco and Ks: strikeouts are up league wide 1.2/game since 2015; 0.9 increase in a season plus.

Ks are up for everyone.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Sometimes BABIP is very high because you're a bad pitcher giving up rockets, and that's not exactly the stuff that progression to the mean is made of. LHSP without good stuff are particularly strong candidates for this phenomenon, because they're giving up the platoon advantage to 75-80% of hitters on top of not really being MLB quality.

Looking at Marco Gonzales's limited MLB time(2017 and 2018) and concluding something other than 'opponents hitting the bejeezus out of what he's throwing' as the primary cause would be a mistake. His K rate is up because he's giving up hits to anyone with two eyes and a bat so the outs are more likely to be a hitter's incompetence.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

His stuff is worse than Mark Muldew's, after his shoulder turned into hamburger meat.

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Sometimes BABIP is very high because you're a bad pitcher giving up rockets, and that's not exactly the stuff that progression to the mean is made of. LHSP without good stuff are particularly strong candidates for this phenomenon, because they're giving up the platoon advantage to 75-80% of hitters on top of not really being MLB quality.

Looking at Marco Gonzales's limited MLB time(2017 and 2018) and concluding something other than 'opponents hitting the bejeezus out of what he's throwing' as the primary cause would be a mistake. His K rate is up because he's giving up hits to anyone with two eyes and a bat so the outs are more likely to be a hitter's incompetence.
Yes, when I think "incompetence" in terms of hitters, I think of George Springer, Jose Altuve and Carlos Correa.

:lol:

Jokes aside, he probably is giving up too much hard contact right now, but the amount of hits he's giving up in general isn't out of line with his career averages. Maybe that'll change against better opponents, but he seemed to carry himself well against great opposition last night.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardsforlife
Veteran Player

Re: Tyler O'Neill up

Post by Cardsforlife »

CardsofSTL wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:Sounds like Pham is injured, but not to the point where he needs to be DL'd.

I assume Brebbia will be the reliever sent down.
He's not pitching anyway.

No kidding?