4/22 GDT: Reds(Castillo) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Re: 4/22 GDT: Reds(Castillo) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15 PM C

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

CT Defector wrote:
Medwick's_Ghost wrote:Nice to be in 1st place by 6 thousandths of a pct point. How in the hell does that work? Looks like we and the Bucs should be tied. I have never understood that.
12/20>13/22
I'm a day behind. Yesterday we had one less loss and they had one more win. Anyway, I've seen in the past where both teams have played the same number of games but the team with one less loss is % points ahead in the standings of the team with one more win....am I nuts?

sjgoten6
All-Star

Post by sjgoten6 »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
CT Defector wrote:
Medwick's_Ghost wrote:Nice to be in 1st place by 6 thousandths of a pct point. How in the hell does that work? Looks like we and the Bucs should be tied. I have never understood that.
12/20>13/22
I'm a day behind. Yesterday we had one less loss and they had one more win. Anyway, I've seen in the past where both teams have played the same number of games but the team with one less loss is % points ahead in the standings of the team with one more win....am I nuts?
Because losses are more magnified than wins in the beginning of the season. Simple calculation. Divide wins by games played. We are 12 wins 8 losses. That gives us 20 games played. 12 divide by 20 is .600. Let's say someone is 13 wins 9 losses. Would you think the 13 win should be pct higher? 13 wins plus 9 losses equals 22 games played. 13 divided by 22 is .591 so therefore they would be in 2nd place.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

sjgoten6 wrote:
Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
CT Defector wrote:
12/20>13/22
Because losses are more magnified than wins in the beginning of the season. Simple calculation. Divide wins by games played. We are 12 wins 8 losses. That gives us 20 games played. 12 divide by 20 is .600. Let's say someone is 13 wins 9 losses. Would you think the 13 win should be pct higher? 13 wins plus 9 losses equals 22 games played. 13 divided by 22 is .591 so therefore they would be in 2nd place.
I had to read your explanation about 10 times and pull out the calculator but...I got it! Thanks.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Interesting lineup today.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The sacks are jammed

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

That will come back and bite us

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

That was a wasted opportunity. Want to beat up on the Reds early so they don't start thinking they can win a game.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Can we just not load the bases any more? Please?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Bad shift