4/24 GDT: Mets(Wheeler) vs Cardinals(Weaver) 7:15 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
sjgoten6
All-Star

Re: 4/24 GDT: Mets(Wheeler) vs Cardinals(Weaver) 7:15 PM CT

Post by sjgoten6 »

Man, too bad I can't see in the future. I could have gotten an extra hour of sleep...

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Bowman is gone as soon as flaherty is up.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This team seemingly has the talent to break out and go on a tear but we'll see if/when that day ever comes. I think a lot of it hinges on if Ozuna ever starts hitting.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Pitching depth is going to be the issue. Getting the best 12 or 13 in the big leagues would help.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

jagtrader wrote:Pitching depth is going to be the issue. Getting the best 12 or 13 in the big leagues would help.
That's not the issue. The Cardinals have some very talented pitchers in their organization. It's the man pulling the strings doesn't understand indicators to show signs of trouble before they happen.

Weaver to Cespedes I can forgive, though I would've pulled him after the two walks. The big issues are the fact that he doesn't understand Hicks is actually pitching like a guy who should be in AAA and that Matt Bowman is not a major league pitcher.

It also doesn't help that they have a serious lack of situational awareness at the plate but that's beside the point. In the 9th with two runners on and no outs you have to understand that situations and elevate the ball.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

And at some point it has to happen for Marp, Fowler, and Ozuna you would think.

Ozuna has to come around some, he's just been pretty dreadful. It's still early, but he's changed his approach some to a pull-centric hitter with a 42.4% pull rate (38% career rate) and 20.3% oppo rate (25.1% career). He's actually hitting the ball hard a higher percentage than he ever has, and his BABIP is fine, but he's hitting a ton of balls on the ground. I think last year was just a bit of a fluke and he's more of a "pretty good" player than a "really good" player.

Marp is another player who developed into more of a pull-centric hitter. Interestingly, he used to be a lot more all-fields than he is now. It could be to account for his hands slowing down some, but it's been a consistent trend. He'll come around, his underlying metrics show a hitter who has been pretty unlucky.

Dexter Fowler is also pretty much doing what he generally does and just getting a bit unlucky. A little more soft contact than in previous years but well within a bar of expectations.

It's just not a lot of fun when games like tonight occur and the other team just absolutely steals one. Similar to the Holland walk-fest game, the other team had no business winning the game and those really come back to sting later in the year. Hopefully the Cardinals will fall into a few games they shouldn't have won, but did this year. They probably didn't deserve to win Saturday, but did, so maybe I'm just remembering the things that go against the Birds.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

phins wrote:
jagtrader wrote:Pitching depth is going to be the issue. Getting the best 12 or 13 in the big leagues would help.
That's not the issue. The Cardinals have some very talented pitchers in their organization. It's the man pulling the strings doesn't understand indicators to show signs of trouble before they happen.
They don't have enough effective pitchers in the big leagues. Some of it is complicated by signing Holland so late and Gregerson's injury. Norris was unavailable and Weaver couldn't get through 5. They're not going to hold leads with their current roster under those circumstances. Maybe Holland and Gregerson can stabilize things. But it has been a [expletive] bullpen for 22 games.

AussieKurt
AA Minor League Player

Post by AussieKurt »

phins wrote:

Weaver to Cespedes I can forgive, though I would've pulled him after the two walks. The big issues are the fact that he doesn't understand Hicks is actually pitching like a guy who should be in AAA and that Matt Bowman is not a major league pitcher.

It also doesn't help that they have a serious lack of situational awareness at the plate but that's beside the point. In the 9th with two runners on and no outs you have to understand that situations and elevate the ball.
Yep... no idea why Bowman is up and stays in the bigs.....

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

This team seems allergic to using the final option on replacement players.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

jagtrader wrote:Maybe Brebbia peed in someone's cereal and Mayers is dead.
I need Matheny to explain why Bowman is better than Brebbia.