Meet Kolten Wong

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Meet Kolten Wong

Post by Tim »

tlombard wrote:Deadspin finally mentioned Wong's gem last night but only after I emailed their tip line. I'm the Tony in the H/t to Tony.
You’re doing the Lord’s work Tony

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Of course with the deadspin headline

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

tlombard wrote:Deadspin finally mentioned Wong's gem last night but only after I emailed their tip line. I'm the Tony in the H/t to Tony.
The link to that exact article just came up in my Google News feed! HA Nice job, TONY.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

didn't see the need to have 2 wong threads, but this post is about the glove...so feel free to split if it needs to be...

have a feeling wong won't win; i'm betting baez will, when he's actually just slightly above average at 2b. But every time i hear his name in the national media, they rave about his defense/how he's the best there is. The numbers just don't back it up...

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 1e232.html
Wong snubbed in 'Best Tools' survey

In what can be seen as an early read on the Gold Glove voting – it is a similar constituency – Kolten Wong, a sublime fielder at second this season and new-metrics leader, didn’t rate a ranking at his position.
Here's the top 3 as voted on by baseball coaches and managers (who also vote for the GG IIRC?):

D.J. LeMahieu, Colorado
Javier Baez, Cubs
Ozzie Albies, Atlanta

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... est-tools/

(Baez is even the picture used for the article)

Time will tell if the view does of Wong at second base. By any measure, Wong has been a superior second baseman this season. His 12.5 UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) is the best in baseball, well ahead of No. 2 at 2B, Ian Kinsler’s 9.1 Albies ranks third in the majors at 5.6, so Wong’s UZR is double that of any other second basemen in the National League. LeMahieu, the incumbent Gold Glover, is 5.4 UZR, and scenery-chewer Baez has bounced around to several positions this season and posted a 2.5 UZR at second, according to FanGraphs.com. Flip over to Bill James Online and Baseball Info Solution’s defensive metrics, and the same is true.

Plus/Minus Rankings at Second Base (NL)

Kolten Wong, Cardinals plus-24
D.J. LeMahieu, Colorado plus-13
Ketel Marte, Arizona plus-6
Jonathan Villar, Milwaukee plus-5
Ben Zobrist, Cubs plus-5
Wilmer Difo, Washington plus-4
Ryan McMahon, Colorado plus-4
Greg Garcia, Cardinals plus-4
Ozzie Albies, Atlanta plus-4

Defensive Runs Saved at Second Base (NL)

Wong – 18
LeMahieu – 13
Martel – 6
Villar – 6
Javy Baez, Cubs – 5
Albies – 4
Difo – 4
Garcia – 4

and even wong agrees...
“I think MLB should realize if I don’t win the Gold Glove there is something wrong with it,” Wong said. “It needs to be somebody who deserves it instead of a publicity contest. And sometimes you know that’s how it goes. I was disappointed last year. We’ll see. I’m not holding my breath if I’m a Gold Glove-winner or not. In my heart, I know I am.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 45a.html#1

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:He is flat out a treat to watch.

Glad Matheny and Mabry can no longer break him. He’s doesn’t have to worry about going to Memphis anymore.

New favorite Cardinal.
Ever since Albert left its been Yadi (Carp for pitchers), but the play last night, his D all year, and just the swagger after the play... he may become my next favorite when Yadi hangs em up.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

MLB network radio just spent an entire segment about how Baez is the best 2b in all of baseball and it’s not even close, so let’s see how he does at SS while Murphy plays 2b

Even though no stats/metrics show Baez is the top 2b (or even close..he’s basically slightly above average.)

But this is the type of crap the media puts out there. You think being on national radio, they’d make you look up or stick to some sort of realm of facts.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

cardsfantx wrote:didn't see the need to have 2 wong threads, but this post is about the glove...so feel free to split if it needs to be...
I mean, we all know that two Wongs make a right.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Again, defensive samples are way too small until 3-4 years worth.

One could argue Cesar Hernandez or Ian Kinsler is the actual best 2B in the game. But Wong is still better if you use DRS over UZR. But DRS is not a cumulative stat. Kinsler and Hernandez have 1200+ more innings under their belt in that time too, so it's tough to really say.

I agree it's dumb to pimp Baez so hard when there's other deserving 2Bs.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on August 24 18, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Again, defensive samples are way too small until 3-4 years worth.

One could argue Cesar Hernandez is the actual best 2B in the game. His UZR is meh this year but over the past 3-4 years? He's got 1400 more innings at 2B than Wong and similar defensive ratings.

I agree it's dumb to pimp Baez so hard when there's other deserving 2Bs.
that's true...if we were talking about a general statement on who's the best defensive 2b overall/career/etc

just talking about the gold glove, it's SUPPOSED to be a year by year/case by case determination.

so since we're talking about the 2018 gold glove, it's inconceivable to give it to baez over wong (or pretty much anyone over wong)

but i bet that's exactly what will happen...