Supreme Court overturn federal ban on sports betting

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Supreme Court overturn federal ban on sports betting

Post by Freed Roger »

One reason sports betting is big deal/taboo in US is because of college sports. The inherent corruption in a big money event when supposed amatuers are the particpants.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

CardsofSTL wrote:
BFP wrote:Greetings all! Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm from New Zealand, where sports betting has been legal and really quite normal for as long as I've been around. Can anyone explain what the big deal is here?

More specifically, why are (some) people saying Rose should be in the HoF now? Surely it wasn't just that he gambled, but more that he was in a position to influence the results of the things he was betting on?
Hello BFP...welcome!

The betting isn't a big deal to me...but some people are hyped about it for sure.

There have always been supporters of Rose getting into the HoF and I think you are right...it is not so much that he bet on games that has kept him out but that he was betting on games that he managed and therefore could have been manipulating how he managed that particular game. Personally I think Rose waited too long to come clean on the whole mess...but I imagine eventually he gets into the Hall (perhaps posthumously).
That's why it's never made sense to me...the whole deal with rose was when we was a manager...i hadn't heard/read anything about him as a player. he's not going to the HOF as a manager, but as a player....so i don't give a [expletive]. and if he was betting against himself as a player, then he did a [expletive] job/must of lost a lot of $, cause he was awesome.

frankly, i don't care what anyone does...if you're a HOF player, then you go int the HOF.

If someone has a HOF career, and we find out he's a serial killer or something like that? don't care; still goes in the HOF...it's a museum about baseball

sorry for the rant

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Freed Roger wrote:One reason sports betting is big deal/taboo in US is because of college sports. The inherent corruption in a big money event when supposed amatuers are the particpants.

Yup and there have been a ton of points shaving scandals in the past

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

pioneer98 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:One reason sports betting is big deal/taboo in US is because of college sports. The inherent corruption in a big money event when supposed amatuers are the particpants.
Yup and there have been a ton of points shaving scandals in the past
There is that.

But perhaps bigger issue is college betting just throws more money into system where the players are not legally compensated.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

The answer to the OP is that MLB is a weird sport where the powers that be do everything they possibly can to alienate their fans and drive viewers/interest away from the game.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i don't gamble so i find this annoying and not user friendly but hey someones making money
Major League Baseball is making changes to pregame protocol heading into the first season with expanded state-sponsored sports betting.

This year, clubs will be required to submit starting lineups to the commissioner's office 15 minutes before they are made public in an effort by the league to reduce the value of inside information and add uniformity to how data is disseminated.

Starting lineups and umpire assignments -- two things valued by oddsmakers and bettors -- will be released first on MLB's official data feed.

In previous seasons, starting lineups were released randomly, sometimes by team social media accounts, other times by beat writers at the team clubhouses. Teams might continue to release lineups in their preferred manner, but must do so 15 minutes after providing them to the commissioner's office.
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26 ... ade-public

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Doesn't this just move the "inside information" from the team clubhouses to the commissioner's office?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm not a fan of that. I would love legalized sports betting here in Missouri but I don't like the idea of lineups not being posted (even if they aren't official) much earlier in the day. This doesn't stop a team from directly posting the lineup early in the day but it will slow things down since I'm assuming that the lineup they submit is the one they have to go with so teams will wait until the last minute anyway in case something comes up during batting practice or whatever.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

A couple comments here:
pioneer98 wrote:Doesn't this just move the "inside information" from the team clubhouses to the commissioner's office?
Yes, but I think it's easier to prevent/root out a problem in 1 place, as opposed to 30.

tlombard: I don't think this decision prevents a team from changing their lineup post-disclosure, unless MLB also changed the rule that lineups are official once exchanged at home plate. Another way to say it is, I think the lineups exchanged at home plate are the ones they will still use to enforce batting out of turn.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

True, I just always assume that whenever a league office changes anything that I'm not going to like it like tying in home field for the World Series with the All Star Game because they didn't know how to handle a meaningless exhibition game ending in a tie when some people got their panties in a wad over it.

Baseball isn't too bad with those things in general but the NFL has ruined my trust in any league office by continually choosing the worst/most ineffective/insulting thing thing possible for any given situation and sometimes all three.