Dexter Fowler Dilemma

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: Dexter Fowler Dilemma

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Do not discount that Kemp used to an absolute beast in his prime. Top of the league stuff. Fowler will never be able to sniff Kemps jockstrap. Kemp had physical issues that he needed to overcome, and that paired with the question of big paydays had Kemp in limbo for a couple years. Now, he's back to being a great player.

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Do not discount that Kemp used to an absolute beast in his prime. Top of the league stuff. Fowler will never be able to sniff Kemps jockstrap. Kemp had physical issues that he needed to overcome, and that paired with the question of big paydays had Kemp in limbo for a couple years. Now, he's back to being a great player.
I don't like to speculate on psychological stuff, but I also feel like you can't discount the narrative post-trade that he was going to be cut very quickly. He seemed to take the offseason in an appropriately serious manner and got back into shape after years of the "Fat Kemp" meme (which wasn't really a meme, it was true).

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Very true. He got a bit complacent, and let himself get into the kind of shape that can ruin careers. It speaks highly of his talent and determination to get back into baseball shape. I think he has some kind of hip degeneration. So it could've been more than career threatening.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

What does Matt Kemp have to do with this? Shane Victorino is an actual comp and from age 33 on he put up 0.7 WAR on his way out of baseball.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Apparently Dexter and his wife deleted all of their tweets after his base running gaffe last night

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Secret Weapon wrote:Apparently Dexter and his wife deleted all of their tweets after his base running gaffe last night
That takes some swag

Relax. It is a joke.

Momo
Veteran Player

Post by Momo »

Secret Weapon wrote:Apparently Dexter and his wife deleted all of their tweets after his base running gaffe last night
It sucks that he felt he had to do that. Especially since more than a fair share of the hate thrown his way has a certain demographic bias to it.

That said, I’m shocked any public figure bothers with Twitter, or at the least bothers reading what people say to them in social media. If you’re even remotely unpopular, why bother man? It’s just such an insane, vitriolic space.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

They pay him way too much. Which skews objectivity in lineup etc. But i like the guy.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

What Freed said.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Freed Roger wrote:They pay him way too much. Which skews objectivity in lineup etc. But i like the guy.
If the ballclub is making a profit (which they are) then the only reason you would think they were paying him too much is if you owned the club, or if there some even better player they were apparently prevented from signing due to the Fowler's salary. Neither of those things is the case, I presume.