haltz
Hall Of Famer

Blake Snell to the Giants

Post by haltz »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Blake Snell to the Giants

Post by heyzeus »

Man that’s…just extremely team-friendly.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I wonder how this off-season will affect Boras' rep. He had the reigning Cy Young winner and this is the best deal he could get after playing hardball with the Yankees and still hasn't gotten Jordan Montgomery a contract.

He really overplayed his hand badly and had to take what was left.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

heyzeus wrote:
March 18 24, 7:36 pm
Yeah I mean this is something that I would like the Cardinals to do, but I can see how teams would be wary of these player opt-out deals. They really capture a ton of downside risk and of course if he's good he's gone.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

heyzeus wrote:
It’s actually only 16 mil this year…then a 17 mil signing bonus to be paid by 2026

Then of course the option for next year if he doesn’t opt out

Edit-sorry lol, only 15 mil this year
Last edited by cardsfantx on March 18 24, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Snell receives a $15MM salary for the upcoming season and has a $17MM signing bonus that will not be paid until 2026, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (on X). That indicates he’ll be deciding on whether to opt out of a $30MM salary next winter, although the delayed date on the payment of the bonus reduces the team’s short-term commitment.

WAR God
Everyday Player

Post by WAR God »

haltz wrote:
March 18 24, 8:14 pm
heyzeus wrote:
Yeah I mean this is something that I would like the Cardinals to do, but I can see how teams would be wary of these player opt-out deals. They really capture a ton of downside risk and of course if he's good he's gone.
Yeah, imagine the deal he could ink if he wins a Cy Young and opts out!

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Nice little arrangement the owners have these days. Control players for seven years and only agree to short-term deals when most of them reach free agency.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

This is the natural shift for pitchers. The long term deals are usually bad for the team. If pitchers want more money per year, they need to be willing to accept shorter term deals.

2 year contracts with an opt out seems like the fair balance.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

With the risk of an arm injury that is an occupational hazard of pitching, the looming age cliff, and Snell's general volatility - this feels like just about the worst deal he could have signed in terms of maximizing his career earnings.

Scenario 1: Snell has another Cy Young caliber season, even keeping the biggest knock on him - BB rate - in check. He opts out to hit the free agent market again. Even with another great season under his belt, are many teams going to line up to give a 5+ year, >$100MM deal for a pitcher's age 32+ seasons? I think best-case he's looking at a 5 year deal in line with what he should be able to get on the market right now - say 5/$130MM.

Scenario 2: Snell has a very average year - more like his 2021 or 2022 seasons. He probably sticks with his Giants deal through 2025, then is hitting the market for his age 33+ seasons where unless he has an outstanding 2025 he's probably looking at $10-15MM-ish AAV deals for 2-3 years.

Scenario 3: Snell is awful or has a long-term injury. Sticks with the Giants for 2025, then he's in the $10MM AAV bargain bin.

I just feel like there's a very plausible outcome here where Snell earns less than $100MM for the next 5 years, when he could probably get a better deal than that right now. But maybe he can't and that's why he agreed to this deal.