Bud Norris: Clubhouse Narc

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Bud Norris: Clubhouse Narc

Post by lukethedrifter »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Hating Matheny and defending Hicks from a racist redneck who is hazing him is now considered "bad" here.

Thought this was the non-Cards Talk sanctuary forum.
Oh good grief. Take a deep breath and reread the thread. Do you require mandatory agreement?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Hating Matheny and defending Hicks from a racist redneck who is hazing him is now considered "bad" here.

Thought this was the non-Cards Talk sanctuary forum.
You're not "defending Hicks from a racist redneck." You're playing armchair psychologist and it's pretty damn funny.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I posted the statement from Hicks and it's clear as day. I deleted my Flaherty remark--due to it being an opinion I probably shouldn't have shared here.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on July 11 18, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Even if you remove the racism aspect from it, the hazing, harassing and narcing is toxic and regressive. I get what Luke is saying about being on someone who's not doing the work or doing it incorrectly, but if I had a coworker that was on my level tattle to my boss, and my boss fined me for it, I'd resent both of them and wonder why I'm still working there (obvious caveat that an MLB clubhouse isn't a typical workplace.)

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I posted the statement from Hicks and it's clear as day. I deleted my Flaherty remark--due to it being an opinion I probably shouldn't have shared here.
lukethedrifter wrote: Oh good grief. Take a deep breath and reread the thread. Do you require mandatory agreement?
Yeah if you re-read it, you derail and focus on me and brush aside Norris racism talk. It's meta knowledge that I don't need to be researching for you. You call me an armchair psych yet each of your responses to me is a dumbass take on the emotion or whatever you think I'm displaying when I'm merely ripping the org and a player.

Nope.

I said you have a cool superpower. Someone else said you were an armchair psychologist.

Nope again.

I did not brush off talk of racism. I asked about Norris’ history since a jerk doesn’t necessarily equal a racist.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:I posted the statement from Hicks and it's clear as day. I deleted my Flaherty remark--due to it being an opinion I probably shouldn't have shared here.
lukethedrifter wrote: Oh good grief. Take a deep breath and reread the thread. Do you require mandatory agreement?
Yeah if you re-read it, you derail and focus on me and brush aside Norris racism talk. It's meta knowledge that I don't need to be researching for you. You call me an armchair psych yet each of your responses to me is a dumbass take on the emotion or whatever you think I'm displaying when I'm merely ripping the org and a player.

Nope.

I said you have a cool superpower. Someone else said you were an armchair psychologist.

Nope again.

I did not brush off talk of racism. I asked about Norris’ history since a jerk doesn’t necessarily equal a racist.
You are correct.

Walking away from this thread now. Reading this on my phone has made some of the replies feel homogeneous.

I said my piece. I don't like Norris. I don't like Matheny. I do like Hicks.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on July 11 18, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Tough Love

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

lukethedrifter wrote: Mentoring and getting up guys asses who need it is a thing and should be on a team- and in a fire house.
I agree with this--especially when it affects the success/safety of co-workers.

What I've never cared for is the "you just haven't earned it yet, baby" hierarchical approach in some fields that can go from mentoring into hazing.

Anyway, I think this idea was maybe fifteen ideas ago in the thread, before centripetal force spun the conversation out of orbit.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Even if you remove the racism aspect from it, the hazing, harassing and narcing is toxic and regressive. I get what Luke is saying about being on someone who's not doing the work or doing it incorrectly, but if I had a coworker that was on my level tattle to my boss, and my boss fined me for it, I'd resent both of them and wonder why I'm still working there (obvious caveat that an MLB clubhouse isn't a typical workplace.)
My workplace bares some similarities to a pro sports team environment (without all the money). There is absolutely a place a vet kicking a young guy in the pants if he has bad habits BUT it better not be a racist jerk or someone who doesn’t know when they’ve crossed a line. Sometimes it is.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

lukethedrifter wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Even if you remove the racism aspect from it, the hazing, harassing and narcing is toxic and regressive. I get what Luke is saying about being on someone who's not doing the work or doing it incorrectly, but if I had a coworker that was on my level tattle to my boss, and my boss fined me for it, I'd resent both of them and wonder why I'm still working there (obvious caveat that an MLB clubhouse isn't a typical workplace.)
My workplace bares some similarities to a pro sports team environment (without all the money). There is absolutely a place a vet kicking a young guy in the pants if he has bad habits BUT it better not be a racist jerk or someone who doesn’t know when they’ve crossed a line. Sometimes it is.

I think that's probably okay. If the guy just ratted back to your boss instead of hashing it out with the guy he's got a problem with (or trying that first), it's not okay.