Nolan Arenado

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Nolan Arenado

Post by CardsofSTL »

He's a great player; he would improve our defense bigly; more than enough to make up for any offensive drop off leaving Coors would have. Which I don't think it would be all that much really; he has a lot of talent.

Don't care if he's not great in front of the camera doing interviews. That's not what you add him to a team for.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Spider John wrote:Arenado recently made remarks saying he was tired of always losing. He becomes a FA after next season, so there's some question that he would even consider resigning with the Rocs. He would bring more to them a trade because of a year and a half of control.They need pitching, which is something the Cards have to offer. The Rockies aren't all that far out, but are in 4th place. I guess it would depend on how well they play the next few weeks.

I'm not very good at putting together sensible trades. I would think it would start with Carlos Martinez, Weaver or Flaherty. I'd be fine with Martinez going. I don't know that he will ever be the pitcher everyone thinks he will be. I would assume it would also take one of our top pitching prospects.

Edit: cleaned up a couple of messes.
Martinez is a 4-5 win pitcher. Those aren’t easy to replace

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
Spider John wrote:Arenado recently made remarks saying he was tired of always losing. He becomes a FA after next season, so there's some question that he would even consider resigning with the Rocs. He would bring more to them a trade because of a year and a half of control.They need pitching, which is something the Cards have to offer. The Rockies aren't all that far out, but are in 4th place. I guess it would depend on how well they play the next few weeks.

I'm not very good at putting together sensible trades. I would think it would start with Carlos Martinez, Weaver or Flaherty. I'd be fine with Martinez going. I don't know that he will ever be the pitcher everyone thinks he will be. I would assume it would also take one of our top pitching prospects.

Edit: cleaned up a couple of messes.
Martinez is a 4-5 win pitcher. Those aren’t easy to replace
No he isn't, at least not yet in this stage of his career (and he won't be this year, either).

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

inb4 bWAR vs fWAR discussion

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Felix The Cat wrote:inb4 bWAR vs fWAR discussion
Yeah yeah, I probably should have thrown that obligatory comment into my previous message.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Martinez has never exceeded 3.4 fWAR and has exceeded 3.8 bWAR once (2016), I think it's fair to say that calling him a 4-5 win pitcher is aspirational.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Not to mention that WAR (no matter the source), is not a good stat to use for pitchers