Re: Nolan Arenado

Post by lukethedrifter »

We aren’t exactly a dynasty here.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Well, he did.
Mets starter Jacob deGrom isn’t the only one tired of losing. Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado expressed the same sentiment on Friday, Nick Groke of The Athletic reports. Coincidentally, the Rockies entered play Sunday on a three-game winning streak, but are still 41-42 and in fourth place in the NL West.

Arenado said, “I just get pissed because I don’t want to lose anymore. I’ve only been to the playoffs once and it was only one game. And I really want more than that.” Indeed, the Rockies lost the 2017 NL Wild Card game 11-8 to the Diamondbacks, their only postseason appearance during Arenado’s career.

Arenado continued, “I’m tired of coming to the ballpark and losing. We work too hard as a group to experience that. I’m not saying I go home questioning, like, ‘I don’t like this place.’ I love it here. But yeah, I want to win. And the more we lose, the more I — if you lose all the time, nobody wants to be there.”
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01/no ... nd-losing/

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

lukethedrifter wrote:We aren’t exactly a dynasty here.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

cardsfantx wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:We aren’t exactly a dynasty here.
the difference being and its a huge difference, the venue. and when you think about it, it goes both ways, for the cards and arenado.

He's got the coors boost in offense and but gets the benefit of playing for a team that can develop good pitching to remain competitive.

Offense and defense seems to be our issue (aside from the bad management).

Arenado would provide a huge boost in both departments.

jack76
Everyday Player

Post by jack76 »

I wonder if we could build a trade around Wacha -- he and Arenado have the same amount of time left on their contracts and both teams would face the same decision regarding resigning them. Wacha may survive Colorado with his sinker. I'm sure it would take ancillary pieces on both sides.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

jack76 wrote:I wonder if we could build a trade around Wacha -- he and Arenado have the same amount of time left on their contracts and both teams would face the same decision regarding resigning them. Wacha may survive Colorado with his sinker. I'm sure it would take ancillary pieces on both sides.
If we pretend to the Rockies he's not injured, maybe.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

dmarx114 wrote:
Spider John wrote:Arenado recently made remarks saying he was tired of always losing. He becomes a FA after next season, so there's some question that he would even consider resigning with the Rocs. He would bring more to them a trade because of a year and a half of control.They need pitching, which is something the Cards have to offer. the year and a half remaining on his contract. The Rockies aren't all that far out, but are in 4th place. I guess it would depend on how well thy play the next few weeks.

I'm not very good at putting together sensible trades. I would think it would start with Carlos Martinez, Weaver or Flaherty. I'd be fine with Martinez going. I don't know that he will ever be the pitcher everyone thinks he will be. I would assume it would also take one of our top pitching prospects.
I don't remember him saying this. It doesn't even make sense considering they were a playoff team last year.
Please try to keep up :wink:

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I'm a big fan of Arenado. Reminds me a lot of Rolen, who I thought was a very special player.

The only reservation I would have is... well, he doesn't seem like a very bright guy. At least, not in the interviews I've seen him do on MLB Network. Now, maybe it's just delayed maturity on his part. He became a star in MLB and was thrust into the spotlight at a pretty young age. I'm very willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, based on my respect for his playing abilities.

And before the vitriol starts, I'm not saying I want a team full of Mensa candidates. Nor is this ANY sort of allusion to the Matheny/Wainwright clique in the clubhouse. I'm just questioning how much of a leader he is/might be. And you have to admit that when you "open the vault" for anyone, you're not just giving them boatloads of cash. You're also anointing them a leader of your team. So when you're a GM and making an evaluation of this magnitude, I think his intellect/character has to be considered (as opposed to seeking a backup C or some other minor role).

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I haven’t heard him speak. Is he Kozma level dull?

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

lukethedrifter wrote:I haven’t heard him speak. Is he Kozma level dull?
I'm just sharing the 1st two solo interview links I found on YouTube when searching Nolan Arenado interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUkCx4dswOM

My favorite quote from the link above: "We've got some dudes, man."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jzy-dmpTBU

The last link has a lot of him talking about not thinking. When you're that talented, I guess you don't need to think.

I certainly think he's a "baseball smart" guy. And I will also say my opinion is slightly higher after hearing these two interviews, but my first impression is still with me.