Saxon is answering questions on The Athletic at 11:45 cst

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Tim
Consider him admonished

Saxon is answering questions on The Athletic at 11:45 cst

Post by Tim »

Post the questions you want me to ask and (upon my discretion) I will send them in.

https://theathletic.com/430665/2018/07/ ... t-1145-ct/

Live Q&A: Mark Saxon answers your Cardinals questions on 7/13 at 11:45 CT

It’s been a dramatic couple of weeks for the Cardinals, the most recent controversy stemming from Mark Saxon’s report on Bud Norris’ approach to the younger pitchers in the bullpen. Ask him about that, or any of the other questions you have surrounding the team from 11:45-12:15 CT.

STARTS TODAY
12:45 PM
YOU'LL BE NOTIFIED WHEN THIS SESSION STARTS

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Re: Saxon is answering questions on The Athletic at 11:45 cs

Post by salukifan2 »

It'll be fun to see how he spins his [expletive]

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

salukifan2 wrote:It'll be fun to see how he spins his [expletive]
he won't...he was on bernie's show yesterday WEEELLLLLL after goold's report came out basically trashing saxon's entire reporting of the fowler situation, and he nor bernie EVER brought it up. not one time.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

anything juicy

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Can you please elaborate on the Norris/Hicks story. All parties involved seem to have circled the wagons and say that everyone is cool with what’s happening. From your perception, did you believe that Hicks or others had issues with Norris’ actions?

K, I'm going to answer this both honestly and carefully. Yes, I think all parties are circling the wagons and I expected them to do so. Yes, I'm confident from plenty of conversations (including Mike Matheny's on-the-record quote) that Hicks did not like the way Norris was treating him, so if that changes, maybe the story did some good. Mainly, the story evoked overreactions because -- and I misjudged this a bit -- people don't realize how tense major-league clubhouses are in general. This type of situation happens on other teams as well. For whatever reason, the three characters in this drama were honest enough to tell me on the record about it and I shared it. I thought that's what reporters are supposed to do, tell people what's actually going on. If that makes me an enabler or any of the other names people are calling me, there's nothing I can do about that.

Mark Saxon
17m ago
Correction: I am not an enabler, but if people are saying that, there's nothing I can do about it. My wife made me change that part.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

I've been off twitter for many years and have recently come back to interact more with the writers for the Cards. I've noticed that there's quite a bit of "turmoil" and your recent articles have created a minor imbroglio. Like anything else, there's always multiple sides to a story. How do you see the current state of the Cards, the journalism surrounding it, the relationships among the journalists, and the state of social interaction?

@Derek V. Wow, interesting open-ended question. Basically, the team tries to tightly control the message and a journalist's job is to find out what is actually going on. Sometimes, those are the same things, oftentimes they are not. So, the relationship between the team and reporters can get tense and it certainly will be interesting when I return to the clubhouse this weekend. I'm used to that. Overall, I would say the Cardinals clubhouse is about as you would expect it to be given the team's mild underperformance. It's tense. Coaches and the manager fret about their job status. Players worry about their standing in the game. When that happens, interpersonal dramas tend to come to the fore. It's an interesting time to be a reporter on a team like that, but it's also nice to write about good teams winning a lot of games. I honestly have no preference. I'm just going to do my thing the way I was trained to and the way I've done it for 20 years.