MM FIRED AT LAST!!

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: MM FIRED AT LAST!!

Post by sighyoung »

This magnificent specimen is on clearance at the MLB gift shop. A cash infusion in badly needed, I'd venture to guess.

[By the way, I agree that the team is probably seeing some effect on recent sales at the ballpark.]

Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Post by Faceman »

Free at last, free at last.

Mike, you were one of my favorite players, but have been well below average as a manager. God speed.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

How ya doing Faceman?

Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Post by Faceman »

Spider John wrote:How ya doing Faceman?
Good, SJ, how about you. I'm more of a lurker these days (two young kids now) but this is still the top destination for good Cards talk.

Felt compelled to open the laptop tonight for this momentous occasion.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

This morning I was thinking about that time Wacha was on our postseason roster but hadn't pitched in a month because he was clearly still hurt, then Matheny put him into the 9th of the NLCS elimination game.

That was 2014. It's astounding this took this long.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

heyzeus wrote:This morning I was thinking about that time Wacha was on our postseason roster but hadn't pitched in a month because he was clearly still hurt, then Matheny put him into the 9th of the NLCS elimination game.

That was 2014. It's astounding this took this long.
Yes. I think about that move sometimes and wonder.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

That MM was the first manager in a decade to be fired mid-season while his team had a winning record is pretty telling, IMO, to just how bad the Fowler and Norris stuff is. Mo might give lip service to wins, but it's just not a move that's generally made when you're over .500 and 4 games out of the wild card at the break.

I think it's a nice indication that the org wants to move beyond an old-school locker room of rookie hazing and stupid hierarchy stuff.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Mike Matheny is a dogsh*t person that no one should feel sorry for

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The biggest shock for me was that they did it Saturday night instead of Sunday. It was time.

I can also say that the team has gotten a lot less of my money this year (haven't been to a game since May 5) but that actually has nothing to do with their performance and everything to do with a combination of being busy and the weather being so flipping hot. I just don't have the desire to go and sweat my balls off in mid-90s heat. If friends were going then I would go if I could but I cut off the Ballpark Pass until September because of the weather mostly.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

We talk about MM bullpen management, but what ever happened to Mike Maddux taking those decisions over ?