CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 7/15 GDT: Reds(DeSclafani) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15PMC

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 7/15 GDT: Reds(DeSclafani) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15PMC

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cincinnati will look for its 22nd win in 31 games Sunday when it tries to polish off a three-game sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium in each team’s final game before the All-Star break.

The Cardinals (47-46) will have a new manager on the bench Sunday after firing Mike Matheny late Saturday night and naming bench coach Mike Shildt the interim manager. The organization also dismissed hitting coach John Mabry and assistant hitting coach Bill Mueller.

At 43-52, the Reds still fit the profile of seller rather than buyer. They are well behind the first-place Chicago Cubs in the National League Central, although they’re creeping closer to leaving the cellar they’ve occupied all season.

For the last month, Cincinnati has been really good, marrying effective starting pitching with typically explosive offense. Reds starters have the fourth-best ERA in the NL in the last 30 games, a marked difference from the first 65 games, which saw them regularly fail to keep the team in games to give the hitters a chance to overcome deficits.

Cincinnati will give the ball to Anthony DeSclafani (4-1, 4.43 ERA) on Sunday. The right-hander is coming off his best performance since returning from the disabled list in June, shackling Cleveland on five hits and a run in seven innings on Monday night in a 7-5 win at Progressive Field.

DeSclafani’s first win this year came at St. Louis’ expense. He scattered 10 hits in five innings on June 10 in a 6-3 verdict that started Cincinnati’s surge. In eight career outings against the Cardinals, DeSclafani is 5-1 with a 2.30 ERA, going 2-1 with a 2.00 ERA in three starts at Busch.

He’ll be opposed by unlikely All-Star Miles Mikolas (10-3, 2.65), who has been the paragon of consistency in St. Louis’ rotation. After receiving his first All-Star invitation on July 8, Mikolas celebrated two nights later with a 14-2 win at the Chicago White Sox, checking them on three hits and two runs for six innings with one walk and six strikeouts.

Mikolas owns two April wins over Cincinnati, 6-1 and 9-2 victories in which he sailed through seven innings in each game.

The Cardinals could use another game like that to avoid falling to .500 before their break, especially after firing their manager.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: 7/15 GDT: Reds(DeSclafani) vs Cardinals(Mikolas) 1:15P

Post by lukethedrifter »

So if I’m Schildt, I walk into the clubhouse this morning, look at the players and say “All righty then”.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lukethedrifter wrote:So if I’m Schildt, I walk into the clubhouse this morning, look at the players and say “All righty then”.
airing of grievances, feats of strength then the work can be begin.

or bring in donkeys for the players to ride around on since they've been playing like ASS

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

lukethedrifter wrote:So if I’m Schildt, I walk into the clubhouse this morning, look at the players and say “All righty then”.
I'd bat Fowler leadoff for the next 15 games and say the excuses are over, go play better.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

jagtrader wrote:
I'd bat Fowler leadoff for the next 15 games and say the excuses are over, go play better.
Would you put him back in CF too?

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Radbird wrote:
jagtrader wrote:
Would you put him back in CF too?
Whatever makes him happy. It's important he's happy. Because if he's not, apparently he's the worst player in the league.