Master of Hyperbole

Re: Get Your Shildt Together

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
That is a good point. IIRC, Grichuk note this as well. It was day to day with Matheny and his "riding the hot hand" lineups.

...However, we still wait for Fowler to respond statistically to the Schildt change.

http://m.mlb.com/player/451594/dexter-fowler

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Freed Roger wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
That is a good point. IIRC, Grichuk note this as well. It was day to day with Matheny and his "riding the hot hand" lineups.

...However, we still wait for Fowler to respond statistically to the Schildt change.

http://m.mlb.com/player/451594/dexter-fowler
He's got a .750 OPS in his last 7 games, basically the time that Shildt took over. Still under his career line, but it's a hell of a lot better than he was for the first half of the season (and better than Ozuna's first half, also).

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

thought this was interesting too, esp with the earlier situations with fowler/hicks under matheny...
Jose Martinez asked me to make one thing crystal clear. He might not be here, period, without Shildt. He was in a bad place when the Cardinals acquired him in a trade with the Royals. He had won a Class AAA batting title and still never sniffed a promotion. The decade-long minor leaguer was not broken, but he was close. Shildt helped him bloom again.

“I’ll listen to whatever he tells me,” Martinez said. “We are on the same page. I know people are saying, ‘Shildt is doing this because blah, blah, blah.’ It’s not that at all. Shildt is one of the best people in baseball.”

“If there is a chance I’m going to have more opportunity that way (as a DH), I’ll take it,” he said. “But I’m not saying I want to get moved, or that I don’t feel OK with the situation.”

“I’m still here, still a Cardinal, and I would love to be a Cardinal for my career,” Martinez said.

He means it, no matter how this ends.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

also, IMO he's making the right moves, in terms of taking starters out/not trying to push for a guy to get a W like matheny, etc...we just don't have good people for him to turn to in the bullpen.

but i do feel he's making correct moves for the most part...

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

cardsfantx wrote:also, IMO he's making the right moves, in terms of taking starters out/not trying to push for a guy to get a W like matheny, etc...we just don't have good people for him to turn to in the bullpen.

Yep. Gyorko should have hit the first pitch he saw yesterday off the scoreboard. Dick high 89 mph fastball on the inner half.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

cardsfantx wrote:also, IMO he's making the right moves, in terms of taking starters out/not trying to push for a guy to get a W like matheny, etc...we just don't have good people for him to turn to in the bullpen.

I have been pleased so far. He can't make crappy pitchers good.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

I have a mixed opinion so far.

More bad than good though.

Going to Holland in a 1-0 game, not starting Carpenter (likely due to some pre-planned decision), going to Bowman in a 2 run game, bunting with Wong against a righty, not going to Hicks against Baez, and letting Ozuna bat 4th every game are all decisions I disagree with.

Shildt seems too old school for me so far. Pretty much a better version of Matheny.

Hopefully he improves over the course of the season.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

What I like is that he is able to articulate his reasoning; don't have to always agree with him if you know he at least has a plan. Then if the plan doesn't work out you can hold him accountable for that.

Also he seems to be very good at communicating with the players; I think that will pay dividends in the long run.