Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Get Your Shildt Together

Post by Radbird »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

if you want some scoops. this was posted 7/15 on dan mac's site.
https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/mike-shildt/

that said, i don't have audio at work so not sure it's new or an older interview he's bringing back, etc, but fyi/fwiw (apologies if already posted)

Mike Shildt is the interim manager of the St. Louis Cardinals. He’s in his second season on the Cardinals major league staff. He’s logged eight seasons as a manager in the Cardinals organization. A 1991 graduate of the UNC-Asheville with a degree in business.

I think you’ll really enjoy this visit with Mike. It dives into his deep history of the game, his time with George Kissell, and what baseball has meant to his family.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Jocephus wrote:if you want some scoops. this was posted 7/15 on dan mac's site.

that said, i don't have audio at work so not sure it's new or an older interview he's bringing back, etc, but fyi/fwiw (apologies if already posted)

Mike Shildt is the interim manager of the St. Louis Cardinals. He’s in his second season on the Cardinals major league staff. He’s logged eight seasons as a manager in the Cardinals organization. A 1991 graduate of the UNC-Asheville with a degree in business.

I think you’ll really enjoy this visit with Mike. It dives into his deep history of the game, his time with George Kissell, and what baseball has meant to his family.
I listened to it this morning. Highly recommend it. Along with the above, great stories about Ripken, TLR, and his life in baseball since he was a kid.

If they don't keep him as manager, I hope they keep him around.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Jocephus wrote:if you want some scoops. this was posted 7/15 on dan mac's site.

This podcast is really good.

Would be really surprised if our manager is not Shildt or Clapp. Mo's been grooming Shildt for years as the plan B to Matheny. If Shildt makes a bunch of dumb mistakes and sends this team further into the loss column, then someone else will get it, but it's his to lose IMO.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

"He was so good at the lower levels," Mozeliak, the Cardinals president of baseball operations, recently recalled. "I think he would be defined as a true teacher. To me, I always think that's so important at those kind of teams. He's always been able to change his message, to adapt his message to the students or, in this case, players. The one thing I've always admired about him is his ability to adapt."
"This is what he was born to do," said infielder Greg Garcia, who played under Shildt in the Minors. "I'm telling you, this guy bleeds Cardinal red. This is his organization. He loves it more than anything."
"One thing with Shildt, no matter how good or bad you were going, he always made it his purpose to let you know that he was on your side and to make you believe in yourself," said Kolten Wong, who played for Shildt in Double-A and Triple-A. "It makes you want to play hard for him. When it came out that he was going to be the manager, it put a smile on my face knowing this dude, he's going to have our back no matter what. He's going to fight for us no matter what. He really deserves this chance."
https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/inte ... -286363966

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I think he's going to be the guy going forward unless they stink the joint up in the 2nd half.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Ron Warner joins the staff

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I think Shildt is in place in preparation for two different scenarios. The team is hoping for better in-game decisions and fundamental play, but they also envision him as a manager capable of working with and instructing younger players--someone like Jack McKeon, who was often hired for that by teams like the Reds and Marlins. If the present group turns around and produces, fine, but if the team becomes a seller, they would want a manager like Shildt in place, anyway, to work with younger players and prospects.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

sighyoung wrote:I think Shildt is in place in preparation for two different scenarios. The team is hoping for better in-game decisions and fundamental play, but they also envision him as a manager capable of working with and instructing younger players--someone like Jack McKeon, who was often hired for that by teams like the Reds and Marlins. If the present group turns around and produces, fine, but if the team becomes a seller, they would want a manager like Shildt in place, anyway, to work with younger players and prospects.
And considering how carefully they constructed the coaching staff this year -- bringing in McGee and bringing back Oquendo -- I think that is also in Shildt's favor. A new manager is going to have at least work with Maddux, but there will also be pressure to keep a lot of the other coaches around.

Honestly, from what I've learned of Shildt over the last few years, we could do a lot worse than Shildt and Pop. Bringing in a premier hitting coach would be a good idea.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »