The Tyler O'Neill Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: The Tyler O'Neill Thread

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

This isn't exactly preseason football. While some results aren't important (working on pitches, working on playing the count, working on hitting certain pitches, etc.), he's still hitting the ball hard and far when he makes contact. And doing it often. Something that is hard to do no matter what you're working on.

O'Neill was doing it at the MLB level too. The thing I like most about his spring is ability to take some walks while clobbering the ball.

We've had guys like Jose Martinez and Jordan Hicks get roster spots on the 25 man due to their ST play. It matters.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:He should break camp as a starter.

Only hits XBHs and is drawing walks. He has speed, arm, and glove too.
It’s going to be very hard to keep him out of the lineup for very long. Obviously, I have been saying that all winter. It’s a good problem and I am sure that we will find playing time for all these guys. Worst case is that Bader or Dexter is an awesome sub-OF’er because our starting OF is that good.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

bluesman1111 wrote:Sorry you don't understand, but great results or lack of, really don't mean anything this time of year, IMO and many others that have watched this game for a long time. I hope he's awesome but I'm not a believer yet.

I will admit the few clips I've seen this year, his swing does look shorter an quick to the ball, just need to see it against pitching that is trying to win games, when the games really count.
So you think he should start then?

bluesman1111
Fringe Major League Player

Post by bluesman1111 »

salukifan2 wrote:
bluesman1111 wrote:Sorry you don't understand, but great results or lack of, really don't mean anything this time of year, IMO and many others that have watched this game for a long time. I hope he's awesome but I'm not a believer yet.

I will admit the few clips I've seen this year, his swing does look shorter an quick to the ball, just need to see it against pitching that is trying to win games, when the games really count.
So you think he should start then?

What I think will be best for the team, is he starts as the 4th outfielder, given the starting three are all healthy, I hope he's on top of his game and he pushes the other three to play their best, I believe competition for playing time is healthy. Like I said in the first line of my initial post I hope he's successful, but I really don't care if he's the starter coming out of ST. But I still believe we shouldn't get too excited over 21 ab's at the beginning of ST.

Also, the Larussa quote often stated, was "the games don't count, but they matter" and that can be interpreted many ways. Remember he didn't give the stating job to Ozzie even though he had the better statistical spring over Royce Clayton. He did what he thought was best for the team.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

How OF playing time is handled will tell us a lot about what matters - production or contracts.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Radbird wrote: How OF playing time is handled will tell us a lot about what matters - production or contracts.
That's probably true, but it lacks quite a bit of context. If O'Neill hits 10 HR's this spring, but Fowler bats .400 with a .500 OBP, then what's the problem? If Fowler is the starting RF'er, is O'Neill starting in LF becuase Ozuna isn't ready? Can O'Neill not start in RF because he's starting in CF? Does O'Neill have 10 HR's and 40 strikeouts? It's so early in spring. We really don't know what the roster is going to look/feel like when April hits.

This is also one of the fascinating things about creating a roster with real depth -- something I've been chirping about for years. It places the team in a position to have to put players it wants to start on the bench, at least for a time. But, the overall production of the roster is improved. Fans often want to line up behind certain players and then they get bent out of shape when the guy they want to start has to sit out. We want Dexter to hit well and be very productive. He could easily be more productive than O'Neill over the course of a season. We want O'Neill to hit and be very productive. He could easily be the most productive OF'er on the team. We want Bader and Ozuna to do well, too. And we want JMart to show better defense and more power to go along with his already excellent contact ability and batting eye. We want it to be extremely difficult to fill out a lineup card everyday. If that happens, we will win a freak ton of games and fans will probably complain about it every step of the way.

Cardinals_Spaceship
Everyday Player

Post by Cardinals_Spaceship »

O’Neill certainly has exciting potential. He’s got the potential to be a true slugger, and while I’m still a bit skeptical until he can cut down on those strikeouts, he’s made a big impression on me so far this spring. I think the plan is for him to be an active fourth outfielder and take over left field next season if/when Ozuna leaves as a free agent.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

He is Canadien.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer