Shildt is the [expletive]

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Shildt is the [expletive]

Post by JoeMcKim »

go birds wrote:our options were shildt or girardi. ill take shildt here.
Especially since Girardi will cost a lot more when you're stuck already paying Matheny through next year.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Girardi sucks [expletive]. He was never a serious option in my opinion. Mo learned from his mistake and hopefully Bill did too as I believe Matheny was always Bill's guy. Girardi is another Matheny. Old school manager that doesn't handle the younger prospects well (Source)

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

What if we shildt the bed and go 10-21 the rest of the way? All will bow in the general direction of Rosenthal’s prescience.

“Shildt - we coulda had Stubby!”

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-baseba ... 1535470136

Wall Street Journal story on Shildt but it doesn't seem to be behind their pay wall.
When Shildt started about six weeks ago, it seemed unlikely his stint would continue into 2019. The Cardinals looked like long shots to reach the playoffs, and in the winter they would search for a full-time option, like former Yankees skipper Joe Girardi or maybe the next big rookie hotshot.

But with the Cardinals now surging toward possible October baseball, Shildt has proven his worth. In an interview over the weekend, Mozeliak said that he would at some point discuss with owner Bill DeWitt Jr. “when we might see this become permanent.”

It turns out that day was Tuesday.

“Organizational IQ was something we felt we needed now,” Mozeliak said. “That brings this natural stability and continuity to a group that was looking for a new voice.”

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Mike Shildt and the Cardinals’ 180
by Craig Edwards
August 30, 2018
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mike-sh ... inals-180/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Jocephus wrote:
Mike Shildt and the Cardinals’ 180
by Craig Edwards
August 30, 2018
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mike-sh ... inals-180/
This made me feel a little better about the "extension". I didn't love the extension mid-season because there's no good reason to. Why not at least interview other candidates? You may end up with a new great bench coach or first base coach, or AA manager. Or you at least have insight in to the next guy you'd like to hire if Shildt doesn't work out. You weren't going to lose him so it just seemed premature.

wyattvol
Everyday Player

Post by wyattvol »

Is there another sport with as great a disparity between the highest and lowest paid head coaches? I doubt it...

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

wyattvol wrote:Is there another sport with as great a disparity between the highest and lowest paid head coaches? I doubt it...
tetherball

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Cardinals were never going outside the organization if they had a viable in-house candidate. National media folks who pay attention to team for five minutes a year don't know that.