CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote: Kyler Murray chooses football.

57fan
AAA Minor League Player

Post by 57fan »

Jocephus wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote: Kyler Murray chooses football.
With most mock drafts having him going 13th to the Dolphins, the upcoming 8 mill signing bonus he'll receive should take the sting out of the loss of cash from the A's. Nice problem to have.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

57fan wrote: With most mock drafts having him going 13th to the Dolphins, the upcoming 8 mill signing bonus he'll receive should take the sting out of the loss of cash from the A's. Nice problem to have.
Except he now has no leverage because he gave up his MLB commitment (and payday) and NFL teams aren't going to go wild for a 5'10" Big 12 QB. His draft story is going to be a classic "OMG they're not taking an athletic Heisman winner" as he slides to the late 2nd or early 3rd.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
57fan wrote: With most mock drafts having him going 13th to the Dolphins, the upcoming 8 mill signing bonus he'll receive should take the sting out of the loss of cash from the A's. Nice problem to have.
Except he now has no leverage because he gave up his MLB commitment (and payday) and NFL teams aren't going to go wild for a 5'10" Big 12 QB. His draft story is going to be a classic "OMG they're not taking an athletic Heisman winner" as he slides to the late 2nd or early 3rd.
I kinda think that's what's going to happen, too. I'm not even sure he's 5'10". I'm an on again off again OU fan, and I really didn't see the kind of accuracy that he's going to need to be successful in the NFL at that size. He's like a more accurate Lamar Jackson but he won't be able to take the hits that Jackson can (and Jackson is not large) and probably doesn't have Jackson's elusiveness. I think the Alabama game exposed some real deficiencies in his game. But, I totally understand what he's doing. It's what he should do. He can take his shot at the NFL. If that works out, no problem. If it doesn't -- and the NFL decides that for you usually within 1-2 years (which is a terrible way to evaluate quarterbacks) -- he can swing back around to MLB in his early to mid-20's and continue a professional career. He won't get as much from MLB a second time around, but more than enough to put him ahead.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Players be butthurt

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Owners be cheap

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

The players have to play or risk losing a year of earning potential they won't get back. They'll give in. There's plenty of players behind them willing to step up and fill the roster.