2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread Newss

Post by lukethedrifter »

Spider John wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote: Good for her but not looking forward to whoever the state media gives us now. Langosch was really good.
Sounds like she wasn’t giving it her all the last few seasons.

I believe she has a young child, so she probably has been distracted, and that may be what's driving this change.
I was making a dumb joke. She feels re-energized which means she must have been mailing it in.

You know, like Dex.

NDark
Veteran Player

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Post by NDark »

Murray is going to enter the NFL draft.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Padres-Reds working on a deal with Cleveland that could send KLUBER to Cincinnati... Vomit.. Why the [expletive] does this division keep improving around us? This upgrades we've made won't be as big if the Reds get into the conversation, too. Paying attention mozeff?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:Padres-Reds working on a deal with Cleveland that could send KLUBER to Cincinnati... Vomit.. Why the [expletive] does this division keep improving around us? This upgrades we've made won't be as big if the Reds get into the conversation, too. Paying attention mozeff?
How does this...
turn into your post?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

And everyone needs to cool their jets on the Reds. They've improved from 3rd worst team in the NL to close to .500 if things break just right.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:And everyone needs to cool their jets on the Reds. They've improved from 3rd worst team in the NL to close to .500 if things break just right.
Fangraphs projected standings for the NLC:

1. Cubs - 87-75 (.536 win%)
2. Cards - 87-75 (.534 win%)
3. Pirates - 80-82 (.496)
4. Brewers - 79-83 (.489)
5. Reds - 79-83 (.485)

So, what you're saying is exactly correct about the Reds. I post those stats to validate your post... even though the rest of my post seems like an argument against it.

I think there should be a level of concern here. Fangraphs stats nerds are basically telling us that the Reds are now as good as the Brewers. The Brewers turned a comparable projection last year into an NLCS appearance. They played well above their heads -- turning a +95 run differential into a +29 wins/losses -- but were also a good team the year before. The Brewers, Reds and Pirates are all in the same class of team. In that same grouping are the Phillies, Braves, Athletics, and Rockies. All decent to good teams last year. All teams we might expect to be in the mix this year. I don't know... it doesn't take much imagination to see the Cards closer to that 2nd tier group than in the first tier group with the Cubs, Nats and Dodgers, if you ignore those projected standings and go by feeling, performance, roster, etc.

This is a tough division. And while Fangraphs thinks there's a clear separation for the Cards and Cubs, it feels a lot more tenuous than it looks. Another addition or two would be a good idea. At this point, one more good add and we would very clearly be the best team in the division from a projection standpoint. That's a place I would love to be in entering the season.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:And everyone needs to cool their jets on the Reds. They've improved from 3rd worst team in the NL to close to .500 if things break just right.
Exactly.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Fat Strat wrote:
Fangraphs projected standings for the NLC:

1. Cubs - 87-75 (.536 win%)
2. Cards - 87-75 (.534 win%)
3. Pirates - 80-82 (.496)
4. Brewers - 79-83 (.489)
5. Reds - 79-83 (.485)

So, what you're saying is exactly correct about the Reds. I post those stats to validate your post... even though the rest of my post seems like an argument against it.

I think there should be a level of concern here. Fangraphs stats nerds are basically telling us that the Reds are now as good as the Brewers. The Brewers turned a comparable projection last year into an NLCS appearance. They played well above their heads -- turning a +95 run differential into a +29 wins/losses -- but were also a good team the year before. The Brewers, Reds and Pirates are all in the same class of team. In that same grouping are the Phillies, Braves, Athletics, and Rockies. All decent to good teams last year. All teams we might expect to be in the mix this year. I don't know... it doesn't take much imagination to see the Cards closer to that 2nd tier group than in the first tier group with the Cubs, Nats and Dodgers, if you ignore those projected standings and go by feeling, performance, roster, etc.

This is a tough division. And while Fangraphs thinks there's a clear separation for the Cards and Cubs, it feels a lot more tenuous than it looks. Another addition or two would be a good idea. At this point, one more good add and we would very clearly be the best team in the division from a projection standpoint. That's a place I would love to be in entering the season.
The St. Louis Cardinals:

1. Have the money to sign Harper
2. Have the prospect pool to trade for Kluber
3. Either one makes them division favorites
4. Won’t do either

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote: The St. Louis Cardinals:

1. Have the money to sign Harper
2. Have the prospect pool to trade for Kluber
3. Either one makes them division favorites
4. Won’t do either
I won't argue the first, but I do not think the second is true. We have a great looking group of prospects in the system, but we are in that transitional period where our high-upside prospects are pretty low in the system. Right now, we have an abundance of mediocrity at the ready-to-play level but no movable single piece that can really seal the deal. We aren't really in a position to trade away Knizner or O'Neill. Reyes isn't movable at the moment because of his health. The next trade-makers would be guys like Gorman or Montero, who are too low to be centerpieces. Other teams can top them with players closer.

If you look at MLB roster trades, if a team like the Indians was interested in Martinez or Gyorko, we would have moved them.

That's not to say there aren't SP's, RP's and left-handed bench options that would not also have a significant impact on our roster. We've talked about the bigger names, but I'm also centering on Asdrubal Cabrera. I'm sure he still wants to start, but he would give us a 1-2 WAR bump over a replacement level player on our roster and I think really fill our offensive depth out. There would not be a hole anywhere on the offensive side of the 25 man. When ST inches closer, he'll probably take whatever he can get, and hopefully we'll be there waiting.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Goold wins Missouri Sportswriter of the Year award. Well deserved recognition.