2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Post by Jocephus »

i don't recall him shilling that hard, or acknowledging that, but i get he has to tow the line a bit. the cards really don't seem friendly towards the press at least if they can't control the message. IIRC, last year goold mentioned how the cards kicked out non fsm media from the spring training facility. he can't just completely crap on the team if he also expects info or train of thought of the FO.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Jocephus wrote:i don't recall him shilling that hard, or acknowledging that, but i get he has to tow the line a bit. the cards really don't seem friendly towards the press at least if they can't control the message. IIRC, last year goold mentioned how the cards kicked out non fsm media from the spring training facility. he can't just completely crap on the team if he also expects info or train of thought of the FO.
He's more critical of the organization than people give him credit for. If you follow his chats and podcasts you'll find that he is often questioning what the club is doing, especially over the last few years. But when it comes to prospects he has a coach-like mentality. I think he understands that if he rags on Hudson, for example, Cleveland is going to think that the Cardinals might be down on him. But if he says Hudson is an overpay for Kluber, he is positively influencing the situation. And none of that is "on order" from the Cardinals.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I still think it’s pretty trash, unless he really does like Hudson.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I still think it’s pretty trash, unless he really does like Hudson.
Ha, it looks like you and I had a similar exchange two years ago. Based on this comment from before, the BPIB episode where he explains this must be from sometime in the summer of 2017.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61401&p=1767173&hil ... d#p1767166

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Hoot45 wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i don't recall him shilling that hard, or acknowledging that, but i get he has to tow the line a bit. the cards really don't seem friendly towards the press at least if they can't control the message. IIRC, last year goold mentioned how the cards kicked out non fsm media from the spring training facility. he can't just completely crap on the team if he also expects info or train of thought of the FO.
He's more critical of the organization than people give him credit for. If you follow his chats and podcasts you'll find that he is often questioning what the club is doing, especially over the last few years. But when it comes to prospects he has a coach-like mentality. I think he understands that if he rags on Hudson, for example, Cleveland is going to think that the Cardinals might be down on him. But if he says Hudson is an overpay for Kluber, he is positively influencing the situation. And none of that is "on order" from the Cardinals.
I was merely going by the previous page, where someone said "he feels he has a role selling players". If that's not the case, my apologies.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Hoot45 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:I still think it’s pretty trash, unless he really does like Hudson.
Ha, it looks like you and I had a similar exchange two years ago. Based on this comment from before, the BPIB episode where he explains this must be from sometime in the summer of 2017.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61401&p=1767173&hil ... d#p1767166
It felt familiar.

I do think he’s been more critical especially lately but still don’t think he needs to concern himself with facilitating trades for the Cardinals. Whatever his honest opinion of Hudson or whoever is, that’s what I want.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Unless Goold thinks Hudson should be a top 5 prospect in all of MLB, then the statement that he is an overpay for Kluber is not at all accurate.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Hoot45 wrote:
He's more critical of the organization than people give him credit for. If you follow his chats and podcasts you'll find that he is often questioning what the club is doing, especially over the last few years.
I disagree. He's critical in a fluffy BS way at times. But he will go fight in the trenches to defend some of their dumbest decisions. He knows who butters his bread. He's a propaganda mouthpiece too (Harper, Fowler, Pham trade, etc.)

I wish Saxon didn't blow his wad with the Pham treadmill story. I was really starting to like his reporting. Maybe he can win us back.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

read what you want obviously. goold always strikes me as just stating what the cardinals train of thought is. if he defends "them" it's because thats the logic they present to him and he's restating it. you have bias/strong opinions towards some of those other propaganda items you mentioned so you'll never agree with him. which is fine.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Popeye_Card wrote:Unless Goold thinks Hudson should be a top 5 prospect in all of MLB, then the statement that he is an overpay for Kluber is not at all accurate.
Then if I were him, I wouldn’t have put that in my chat yesterday.