2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Hudson is Maness 2.0
Maybe Lance Lynn 2.0. He throws significantly harder than Seth Maness.

Also keeping in mind that Kluber was once a non-prospect who brought a high K/9 rate, but couldn't stop walking people and struggled to keep his WHIP below 1.400 in the minors.

Hudson has a 70/70 fastball. He's not a guy you brand as untouchable, but he's also not a guy you just toss aside.
Maness 2.0 isn't a bad thing. But both are really similar when it comes to production (K/9, BB/9, HR/9 rates, ground ball ability, not their stuff). Maness was converted from starter to reliever early, Hudson hasn't been...yet. But I think he will. He'd be an underwhelming starter IMO.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Gant looked better in MLB than Hudson did in AAA. He could be a good player but he’s definitely overvalued and someone I wish we’d traded (or will trade).

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Gant looked better in MLB than Hudson did in AAA. He could be a good player but he’s definitely overvalued and someone I wish we’d traded (or will trade).
Gant is 26 years old. Hudson is 24 and did that work in AAA as a 23 year old. Those three years make a huge difference. The two players are not good comparables.

I would generally agree that saying Hudson would be too much for Kluber seems silly. But, it was about this time last year that I viewed Flaherty as a #3-#5 starter, and about equal with Weaver. However, last year, Goold insisted in his chats and articles that the Cards liked Flaherty a lot more than the typical scouting reports. Some of the initial pitch FX info supported that, despite sketchy results. Goold eventually swayed me to his side. The Cards were right about Flaherty over Weaver longterm. Now, one full year later, the same Flaherty looks to me like a #1-#3 starter, which is pretty much what the Cards have been saying all along.

When it comes to RH pitchers, the Cards absolutely know what they're talking about.

So, I might question and doubt, but if Goold is saying that the Cards like Hudson more than the typical scouting reports indicate, then I am at the very least perking my ears up. Typical scouting reports for Hudson had him as a high floor #4-5 starter or a solid reliever. If the Cards think he's a #3'ish starter or a dominant reliever, then I could see why they would want to hang on to him. Using the names that have been thrown around, I would say the Cards probably are viewing him as a Lance Lynn now rather than a Seth Maness. And you build championships around developing league minimum guys who pitch like Lance Lynn did.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It’s a good comparison in the sense that Dakota Hudson is overrated and should be traded.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:It’s a good comparison in the sense that Dakota Hudson is overrated and should be traded.
Why exactly should Hudson be traded? Because we don't like having good young prospects with electric fastballs? Because some guy mentioned him in a fake trade proposal to the Cards beat writer? We can't act like Kluber for Hudson is real. It isn't. There isn't even the hint of a rumor of a trade proposal, except in the fantasies of a few fans. It doesn't even look like Kluber is or ever even was on the actual trade market.

Gant is a journeyman minor leaguer who might finally get a real shot in what will be his age 27 season, or he'll return to the minors for an 9th season down there. He's Garrett Stephenson. Nothing wrong with that. Man, developing those guys is so useful. But, Hudson earned significant major league innings in his second full season in the minors. He had 9 innings above rookie league before the Cards bumped him all the way to AA and it only took 2/3rd's of a season for him to get to AAA as a 22 year old. He's a serious prospect. He's very talented. And I think that's what Goold is getting at. I'm not sure why Cards fans feel the need to downplay what he is, even if you don't think he's too much to give up for a Kluber.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He should be traded because I get the feeling he's overvalued by the rest of the league.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

He should also be traded because then if in some way he does turn into an amazing Ace pitcher we can all [expletive] about how the Cardinals gave him away for a rental.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
This offseason is sizzling!!!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Gant looked better in MLB than Hudson did in AAA.
I'd strongly disagree but recognize it's a pretty subjective thing.
He could be a good player but he’s definitely overvalued and someone I wish we’d traded (or will trade).
For whom would you trade Hudson? I don't think anyone is saying he's off limits nor is anyone saying no to a Kluber Hudson trade on here. But, I guess it's difficult to know just how overvalued you think he is without some more specifics.