GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 16 19, 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 189  Next
PostPosted: September 29 18, 7:51 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Can't wait to be an also ran in the Machado running.

PostPosted: September 29 18, 7:54 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Gotta temper your hopes. Almost 30 other teams will also lose out.

PostPosted: September 29 18, 9:40 pm 
All-Star

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Was it 14? ...when Rosenthal was pure water torture for a fan in the playoffs? It would have been that multiplied by the entire pen this year.

Still would have taken it but glad I don't have to, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, he gave up 2 runs that postseason. The only runs he's ever given up in the postseason. 0.69 Postseason ERA.

The way he put 3 people on every inning (I looked at the stats, because my memory--which has been informed by my ulcer scars--says it was more like 25) made things almost unbearably tense. And the way he looked like he was about to [expletive] his pants the whole time didn't help.

It was rough. For me, at least.

The tension was my point there, but if we're on it--run total be damned--he wasn't good that postseason. But my post there wasn't meant as a rebuttal to your post, which I hadn't seen when I posted--just a coincidence.

PostPosted: September 29 18, 11:27 pm 
Perennial All-Star

i posted something similar in another thread, but i see us AT MOST targeting a 3b. we either have young guys locked in or old guys at almost every position (and we've eaten so much money lately, don't see them doing more). So we'll be similar to this year IMO, and hope a few more wins break our way...

C - Molina
1b - Carp
2b - Wong
SS - DeJong
3b - Gyroko (possible FA like Donaldson here?)
RF - Fowler
CF - Bader
LF - Ozuna

SP -

Mikolas
Flaherty
Martinez
Wacha
Reyes

PostPosted: September 30 18, 12:20 am 
Perennial All-Star

Gyorko can no longer be our starting 3B, he just isn't up to par as a full time starter anymore. The last two years we went into the season with the intention of him being a super sub but him ending up being a full time starter.

PostPosted: September 30 18, 8:09 am 
-go birds

sign corbin and fix the bullpen. trade some pitching depth for a bat.

id love to sign one of the big bats but im not even gonna bother getting my hopes up.

i expect us to overspend on a bullpen arm that lives on the DL all year next year and that'll be about it.

build an 85 win team and hope for luck. thats the new cardinal way.

PostPosted: September 30 18, 8:59 am 
All Hail the New GDT Master

I believe there will be significant roster overhaul this offseason. I don't know if it will be anything flashy; but at least it will break up some of the clutter. I think they started doing that at the deadline with some of their moves (including the popular Pham trade) and then were surprised by their resurgence in the standings in August.

PostPosted: September 30 18, 10:07 am 
Hall Of Famer

CardsofSTL wrote:
I believe there will be significant roster overhaul this offseason. I don't know if it will be anything flashy; but at least it will break up some of the clutter. I think they started doing that at the deadline with some of their moves (including the popular Pham trade) and then were surprised by their resurgence in the standings in August.

I wish there was more evidence towards that in who they got when they tried to sell. Granted, even though we have pitchers galore, it was good to get Shreve and Gallegos. It's going to be one of those "throw it at the wall, see if it sticks" type of situations with the pen. The Holland disaster might've scared them off of any one asking for a) more than 1 yr, and\or b) more than $7m.

With the Pham trade didn't we get more outfielder\s?

PostPosted: September 30 18, 11:20 am 
All Hail the New GDT Master

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:

I wish there was more evidence towards that in who they got when they tried to sell. Granted, even though we have pitchers galore, it was good to get Shreve and Gallegos. It's going to be one of those "throw it at the wall, see if it sticks" type of situations with the pen. The Holland disaster might've scared them off of any one asking for a) more than 1 yr, and\or b) more than $7m.

With the Pham trade didn't we get more outfielder\s?

The Pham trade was one part of a larger plan. We added lower level outfield depth while clearing space at the major league level. They also moved Mercado. I am not touting the value of these trades; just commenting on the perceived (imo) plans of the front office.

PostPosted: September 30 18, 11:49 am 
Master of Hyperbole

JoeMcKim wrote:
Gyorko can no longer be our starting 3B, he just isn't up to par as a full time starter anymore. The last two years we went into the season with the intention of him being a super sub but him ending up being a full time starter.

Who are the options besides Donaldson and Machado?

Gyorko, just in games he's been a 3B, has a 142 wRC+. Sure that's selective sampling but I'm not so sure he's as bad as everyone says.

3B is a position of upgrade but if you don't get Machado or Donaldson, then upgrade somewhere else. Gyorko gives you good defense at 3B and right handed power. His walking is a lot better as a Cardinal too. He's easily penciled in for 114 wRC+ yearly and that's underratedly good.

However I agree it's an upgrade spot. I don't go Machado unless we know we have DH coming soon. Machado's defense is tanking by the year and while he's good for 2-3 4+ WAR seasons, he will go by the way of Hanley Ramirez in the later years and need to be a 1B/DH. Which I'm fine with at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 189  Next