Re: NL WC GDT: Rockies(Freeland) vs Cubs(Lester) 7PMCT

Post by CardsofSTL »

A breakdown of the Cubs and Rockies by position by Richard Justice at mlb.com

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/nl-wild-c ... -296850382

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Lester, an 18-game winner, will start the NL Wild Card Game, and Cole Hamels will be available in the bullpen.

The Cubs last went to the NL Wild Card Game in 2015, Maddon's first year in Chicago, and got a huge assist from Jake Arrieta, who threw a shutout against the Pirates to advance. They much preferred how things worked out in 2016, when they finished with the best record in the NL and had home-field advantage through the NL Championship Series before winning the World Series.

Lester (18-6, 3.32 ERA) will make his 22nd postseason start on Tuesday at Wrigley Field. The left-hander has been the workhorse for the Cubs, and this season marks the fifth in a row in which he's made at least 32 starts. Lester is 7-4 with a 3.32 ERA at home. The left-hander has started the first game of a postseason series 10 times and has started one Wild Card Game, for the Athletics on Sept. 30, 2014, against the Royals. He gave up six runs in 7 1/3 innings but did not get a decision, as the game went 12 innings.
Rockies left-hander Kyle Freeland will arrive at Wrigley Field for Tuesday's National League Wild Card Game wearing his and his team's aspirations on his sleeve -- well, the tattoo sleeve on his right arm.

The ink reads "303" (Denver's original area code) and "5280" -- representing the feet above sea level that makes Denver the Mile High City. The coup de grace is the lyric from the rapper Machine Gun Kelly, who spent his formative years at the same Thomas Jefferson High School in Denver from which Freeland would graduate: "My city told me they needed me, so I'm grinding for that."

Monday's 5-2 loss to the D-backs plunged the Rockies into a now-or-never game. But the Rockies have showed a tendency to rebound, as they did when they were eight games off the NL West pace on June 28, after the nine shutouts they suffered (one fewer than their own shutouts) and following the eight walk-off losses (the same number as their wins).

What better person to turn it over to than Freeland (17-7, 2.85 ERA), who is 11-1 with a 2.32 ERA while the team has won 16 of his last 20 starts. He is a key reason why his hometown team is in the postseason for a second consecutive year for the first time in its history, and he admits carrying extra incentive to put the Rockies in the NL Division Series presented by Doosan, which starts on Thursday in Milwaukee. That would mean postseason play in Coors Field -- The 303 or The 5280, if you will -- for the first time since the Phillies pushed the Rockies out of the NLDS on Oct. 12, 2009.

Freeland has faced the Cubs once in each of his two seasons, going 0-2 with a 4.15 ERA. As for matchups, he hasn't given up a homer to the North Siders, but Kris Bryant is 2-for-5 with a triple against him, and Albert Almora Jr. is 2-for-6.

Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Post by Gypsy Lou »

I hope the Cubs lose.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Gypsy Lou wrote:I hope the Cubs lose.
I’ll second this motion.

TigCards
All-Star

Post by TigCards »

Tim wrote:
I’ll second this motion.
Ditto....

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

TigCards wrote:
Tim wrote:
I’ll second this motion.
Ditto....
repeat, please

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Rooting for the Rox more than rooting against the Cubs, and I'm actively rooting against the Cubs. They aren't in the postseason often, so I'd like to see them move on.