Addison Russell to be suspended for DV

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cronos
In perpetuum

Re: Addison Russell to be suspended for DV

Post by Cronos »

Hoot45 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I don't think any organization, be it professional sports or otherwise, has only employed angels and saints.
Except for Anaheim and New Orleans, of course.
I chuckled.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Seems disingenuous to compare drunk driving to domestic abuse but touche.
Agreed.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:The Chiefs and the NFL had recordings of the 911 call, from the very beginning. Their owner said that he knew of at least 3 separate off-field incidents wrt Hunt, prior to the video being released.

They did the right thing, no doubt. However, it shouldn't take video evidence (it shouldn't take that for Russell, and it shouldn't have taken that for Hunt, and it shouldn't have taken that for Ray Rice).

The Cubs are worse, because they've been down this road before, and never learn.
No, both are bad.

Cardinals are bad too. We turned the other way on drunk driving multiple times.

Sports teams only care about winning and will keep problematic players if they don't cross their fake moral line that's likely determined by...yes you guessed it, money.
Seems disingenuous to compare drunk driving to domestic abuse but touche.

I don't think any organization, be it professional sports or otherwise, has only employed angels and saints.

But, in this day and age, signing a guy in Russell's position seems incredibly out of touch and...dirtbaggy. Especially in the shadow of the Chiefs flat out releasing Hunt.
What's disingenuous about it? Both are considered abhorrent by society. I think Russell's is worse. And he should be out of baseball, along with Chapman, Reyes, etc. But the Cardinals aren't pure. My only point. There were lots of [expletive] on this team in its 120+ year history. One of the worst having his number retired--Enos Slaughter. Huge racist who stepped on Jackie Robinson's leg. Yet he's beloved and Machado is hated by some Cardinal fans. The team and the league/sport have endured lots of awful people.

We agree on Russell.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Slaughter vehemently denied being racist. But whatever.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/fd6550d9
Jackie Robinson joined the Dodgers for the 1947 season, integrating baseball. The concept brought much bitterness and contempt from some of Robinson’s teammates, various members of opposing teams, and in the press. Many teams planned to strike in May of 1947, in a show of solidarity against the entry of Robinson into professional baseball. An admonition by Commissioner Ford Frick, as well as a promise that any such action would lead to a player’s suspension from baseball, squelched any ideas of a revolt. In 1990, a book was published, entitled The Ballplayers. In Slaughter’s entry, the author made the following assertion:

“Slaughter, who was a North Carolina tobacco farmer, and fellow Southerner Terry Moore tried to persuade their Cardinal teammates to go on strike in May 1947 to protest Jackie Robinson’s admittance to the National League.”

Moore and Slaughter strenuously objected to these statements, going as far as to hire lawyers to set the record straight. Although at the time their involvement in such a move may have been rumors and speculation, here it was written as fact. Even though it was many years after their playing days, the suggestion of being a racist was an unwelcome label.

The Redbirds faced off against the Dodgers on August 20, 1947 at Ebbets Field, in another battle of first- and second-place teams. With the score tied at two in the top of the 11th inning, Stan Musial was on first base. Slaughter hit a Hugh Casey offering to first base, which was fielded by Jackie Robinson, who looked to second, thought better of it, and ran to first base to record the out. As Robinson turned toward the field of play to ensure that Musial did not take off for third base, Slaughter was coming hard down the line and spiked Robinson’s right ankle, causing Robinson to clutch his ankle in tremendous pain. He was able to remain in the game after receiving treatment.

Slaughter’s action was viewed more as dirty than aggressive. Robinson was rightly upset, but commented little about the incident other than to say, “All I know is that I had my foot on the inside of the bag. I gave Slaughter plenty of room.” Slaughter maintained that he had never spiked another player in his life. Unfortunately for Slaughter, because of this incident and rumors of a boycott against Robinson, there were racial undertones directed at him. He spent much of his life defending himself against such allegations. St. Louis sportswriter Bob Broeg supported Enos in this effort, saying, “The stigma is unfair.”

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Not buying it.

Players around him at the time say different. Actions say different.

This will be my last post on that. Don’t want this thread to pivot.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

It wouldn't be an Addison Russel thread without the need for me to delete a whole buttload of [expletive].

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Not buying it.

Players around him at the time say different. Actions say different.

This will be my last post on that. Don’t want this thread to pivot.
ok

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

heyzeus wrote:It wouldn't be an Addison Russel thread without the need for me to delete a whole buttload of [expletive].
ok

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

wart57 wrote:Slaughter vehemently denied being racist. But whatever.

Jackie Robinson joined the Dodgers for the 1947 season, integrating baseball. The concept brought much bitterness and contempt from some of Robinson’s teammates, various members of opposing teams, and in the press. Many teams planned to strike in May of 1947, in a show of solidarity against the entry of Robinson into professional baseball. An admonition by Commissioner Ford Frick, as well as a promise that any such action would lead to a player’s suspension from baseball, squelched any ideas of a revolt. In 1990, a book was published, entitled The Ballplayers. In Slaughter’s entry, the author made the following assertion:

“Slaughter, who was a North Carolina tobacco farmer, and fellow Southerner Terry Moore tried to persuade their Cardinal teammates to go on strike in May 1947 to protest Jackie Robinson’s admittance to the National League.”

Moore and Slaughter strenuously objected to these statements, going as far as to hire lawyers to set the record straight. Although at the time their involvement in such a move may have been rumors and speculation, here it was written as fact. Even though it was many years after their playing days, the suggestion of being a racist was an unwelcome label.

The Redbirds faced off against the Dodgers on August 20, 1947 at Ebbets Field, in another battle of first- and second-place teams. With the score tied at two in the top of the 11th inning, Stan Musial was on first base. Slaughter hit a Hugh Casey offering to first base, which was fielded by Jackie Robinson, who looked to second, thought better of it, and ran to first base to record the out. As Robinson turned toward the field of play to ensure that Musial did not take off for third base, Slaughter was coming hard down the line and spiked Robinson’s right ankle, causing Robinson to clutch his ankle in tremendous pain. He was able to remain in the game after receiving treatment.

Slaughter’s action was viewed more as dirty than aggressive. Robinson was rightly upset, but commented little about the incident other than to say, “All I know is that I had my foot on the inside of the bag. I gave Slaughter plenty of room.” Slaughter maintained that he had never spiked another player in his life. Unfortunately for Slaughter, because of this incident and rumors of a boycott against Robinson, there were racial undertones directed at him. He spent much of his life defending himself against such allegations. St. Louis sportswriter Bob Broeg supported Enos in this effort, saying, “The stigma is unfair.”

Can you think of anyone who calls themself a racist? Pretty sure you have to be racist-er than David Duke to own up.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

lukethedrifter wrote:
wart57 wrote:Slaughter vehemently denied being racist. But whatever.

Can you think of anyone who calls themself a racist? Pretty sure you have to be racist-er than David Duke to own up.
I don't know what to make of Slaughter - he claims to have become friends with Robinson. He claims since he was from the South folks just assumed he was racist, but he called African Americans colored folks, which is racist - but common back in the 40's and 50's.
Because Slaughter was from the south (Roxboro, N.C.) and Robinson was black, some writers tried to make an issue of it.

'I would like to address these next remarks to the New York writers,' Slaughter said. 'It's about Jackie Robinson. The fact is that Jackie Robinson and I beame friends. Long before Jackie Robinson ever came into baseball, the Cardinals and Dodgers went at each other like cats and dogs. Then it was said that I intentionally spiked Jackie Robinson. Somehow that kept following me wherever I went, but that was untrue. It was completely untrue. That hurt me.

'I just want to get it straight once and for all. I never intentionally spiked Jackie Robinson and I never intentionally spiked anybody. Jackie was my friend.

'I knew how to play the game only one way and that was to play it hard. One day in the Polo Grounds I came into second base. I came in hard but clean and Bill Rigney wound up with 23 stitches in his hand. Nobody made anything of that.'
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/03/07 ... 479019600/

Back to Russell.

It sucks that he is still getting paid after domestic abuse. Shouldn't be in baseball.

TimChopsula
Veteran Player

Post by TimChopsula »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Don’t want this thread to pivot.
Not buying it.