RIP Mel Stottlemyre

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

RIP Mel Stottlemyre

Post by CardsofSTL »

Mel Stottlemyre, the lonely ace of the Yankee pitching staffs in the 1965-71 pre-George Steinbrenner lean years who then went on to an equally distinguished career as one of the pre-eminent pitching coaches in baseball with the world champion ’86 Mets and Joe Torre’s multiple-ringed Yankee staffs, died Sunday in Seattle after a long battle with bone marrow cancer. He was 77.

Stottlemyre is survived by his wife, Jean, and two sons, Todd and Mel, Jr., both of whom pitched in the major leagues. A third son, Jason, died in 1981 of leukemia.

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Re: RIP Mel Stottlemyre

Post by Corky »

I am so sorry to read this.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Mel Stottlemyre was one of only two pitchers to post a win against Bob Gibson in the World Series.

Mel was the winning pitcher in game 2 of the '64 WS for the New York Yankees.

My Dad and Grandfather were at the game and I still have the program with the scorecard filled out.

Gibson was 7-2 in WS games. His only other loss came against the Detroit Tigers and Mickey Lolich in game 7 of the '68 series.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

doe_boy wrote:Mel Stottlemyre was one of only two pitchers to post a win against Bob Gibson in the World Series.

My Dad and Grandfather were at the game and I still have the program with the scorecard filled out.

Gibson was 7-2 in WS games. His only other loss came against the Detroit Tigers and Mickey Lolich in game 7 of the '68 series.
And that one belongs to Curt Flood. Unless a good break on that ball over his head would still have fallen short. Has anyone done that analysis?

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
doe_boy wrote:Mel Stottlemyre was one of only two pitchers to post a win against Bob Gibson in the World Series.

And that one belongs to Curt Flood. Unless a good break on that ball over his head would still have fallen short. Has anyone done that analysis?
There's a theory that he lost the ball in all the white shirts in the stands. My Dad blamed Lou Brock for not sliding into home plate on Willie Horton's throw from left.

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

doe_boy wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

There's a theory that he lost the ball in all the white shirts in the stands. My Dad blamed Lou Brock for not sliding into home plate on Willie Horton's throw from left.
If you watch the play carefully you can see that Flood lost a step due to the sloppy outfield. It had rained in Detroit all the previous night. One thing Curt never did was misjudge a fly ball.

The reason we lost that game falls on Brock (no slide) and Lolich, who pitched really well...AGAIN! :(

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote: It had rained in Detroit all the previous night.
Game 7 was played in St. Louis.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

doe_boy wrote:
That doesn't mean that it didn't rain in Detroit

Medwick's_Ghost
I'm a jerker by nature....

Post by Medwick's_Ghost »

doe_boy wrote:
Point is the OF was a mess, not where it rained.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
doe_boy wrote:
Point is the OF was a mess, not where it rained.
The video looks like he completely misread the ball which is easy to do in straightaway CF and slipped trying to change course. According to historical weather data there was a very light rainfall 24 hours before the game.