3b Options Beyond Machado

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 3b Options Beyond Machado

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Fat Strat wrote:$35M is too low, but I don't think that 2/$38-$40 is unreasonable for Donaldson at all. Maybe a mutual option 3rd year. His repeated injuries and failied 2018 campaign surely tanked his value.

And yet, in his limited PA's, the production showed. 1.3 WAR in only 219 PA's. Solid defense.

I'm talking myself into Donaldson again...
Dead arm deal and lingering calf issues, wrong side of 33, defense declining already, dropped from 18 to 80 in avg exit velocity. Yeesh. These are bad trends to me.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Fat Strat wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:"More realistic options" I am glad the fans accept this yearly gaslighting by DeWitt and have internalized it. I don't blame anyone. Just sucks.
Actually, I planned to start a thread specifically dedicated to Machado. He's worth significant time investment and conversation on his own and I didn't want this thread getting cluttered with Machado talk because that will overshadow other conversations. I'm going to dig pretty deep into Machado and had time time to do this first. So, this thread got posted first.

That said, it is more realistic to consider other options. A team's odds of acquiring ANY sought after FA are low to begin with. When you factor everything into Machado and the Cards, the odds can't be viewed as anything other than very long. But... that's for another thread.
Didi is having TJ for NYY; he'll be out almost all of next year....machado will land there with torres on the left side of the infield, and then Didi will be UT player or be traded.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

All this talk of "just go with Jedd" on the heels of him embarrassing himself at the plate in the final week of the season, gives me heartburn..

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:$35M is too low, but I don't think that 2/$38-$40 is unreasonable for Donaldson at all. Maybe a mutual option 3rd year. His repeated injuries and failied 2018 campaign surely tanked his value.

And yet, in his limited PA's, the production showed. 1.3 WAR in only 219 PA's. Solid defense.

I'm talking myself into Donaldson again...
Dead arm deal and lingering calf issues, wrong side of 33, defense declining already, dropped from 18 to 80 in avg exit velocity. Yeesh. These are bad trends to me.
All good points.

But, with Gyorko behind him? We can't be worse; we can only be better. Secondly, if we miss on Harper or Machado and for some silly reason allow AW's presence to push us away from chasing an elite SP, then all we're left with are risks, could be's, and maybes. A 2 year $19/M per dice roll on Donaldson is more appealing to me than lateral moves and shuffling the deck chairs.

I also plan to look at the OF options more closely. Maybe there's a mysterious, healthy and young 5 WAR RF'er that I don't know about yet. Expect a "OF Options Beyond Harper" thread next week.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Good post as always, Fat. I suspect that Donaldson's days as a difference maker are over.

I personally want to back the brinks truck of money up to Manny Machado's house, but I reeeeeally doubt that happens.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Donaldson has a 2011 Berkman and 2012 Beltran feel to it.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

cardsfantx wrote:Didi is having TJ for NYY; he'll be out almost all of next year....machado will land there with torres on the left side of the infield, and then Didi will be UT player or be traded.
If this is what it takes to keep Machado from the Cubs, then god bless TJ.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

dmarx114 wrote:Donaldson has a 2011 Berkman and 2012 Beltran feel to it.
What kind of interest rates has Mo been getting on the pixie dust left in the vault?

Seriously - I want to feel the same, but I felt like expectations for Berkman and Beltran weren't very high, but they are kind of high for Donaldson. it makes me think we're more likely to be disappointed than pleasantly surprised.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Pay Donaldson for a few years and hope one of Gorman, Montero or Mendoza sticks.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:If you're not getting Machado or Arenado, then keep Gyorko. Donaldson really isn't going to give you more than Gyorko and you're stuck in another big contract you don't want in a year.

"More realistic options" I am glad the fans accept this yearly gaslighting by DeWitt and have internalized it. I don't blame anyone. Just sucks.

Gyorko gives you similar offensive numbers to Matt Chapman. And his defense was considered above average by most here. Has that changed?
Chapman slugged 92 points higher than Jedd last year. The strikeouts and walks a bit more in Chapman's favor, too. All that adds up to like a big difference. It's not really a fair comparison since Jedd is 5 years older.

Jedd is trending downward, too. ISO went from .253 to .200 to .154 the last three years and slugging went from .495 to .472 to .416. I don't think I'd count on Jedd for more than a utility role next year.