3b Options Beyond Machado

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: 3b Options Beyond Machado

Post by Popeye_Card »

I don't care that much about the hustling. It annoys me when players publicly state that they don't need to hustle, but whatever. Pete Rose's style was far more annoying than not hustling occasionally. I really just ask that you put your head down and play the game hard.

With Machado, I'm more irked by the pattern of immaturity marked by trying to harm other players on the field when he feels slighted. Like throwing a bat at them, or throwing his helmet at them, or purposefully kicking their ankle on the 1B bag like last night. They're cheap shots that have no place in the game.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:I don't care that much about the hustling. It annoys me when players publicly state that they don't need to hustle, but whatever. Pete Rose's style was far more annoying than not hustling occasionally. I really just ask that you put your head down and play the game hard.

With Machado, I'm more irked by the pattern of immaturity marked by trying to harm other players on the field when he feels slighted. Like throwing a bat at them, or throwing his helmet at them, or purposefully kicking their ankle on the 1B bag like last night. They're cheap shots that have no place in the game.
-provoked by Aguilar
-Donaldson did tag him hard and he didn't throw the helmet at him, he just threw it down in frustration. It was no big deal and both were over it by end of the game.
-Fernando Abad threw two pitches inside trying to hit him. Can't blame him getting mad after the second one.
-Same deal with Yordano Ventura, provoked.

Good players with an "attitude" are targeted. Did it with A-Rod too.

If you want a Mike Trout/Kris Bryant that just puts his head down and plays the game and has a super boring personality, that's fine. This world has many characters.

I prefer attitude. Big fan of Carlos Martinez and Tommy Pham too.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

He was hardly provoked by Aguilar. And even if he was, you don’t run through a man’s ankle at full speed—that’s just asking for an injury.

If tossing bats and helmets at opposing players was a normal response, we’d probably see it more often.

It is immaturity, plain and simple.

Look, I play hockey. It is real easy to get pissed at the opposition out there and retaliate. You push back, you give them a slash, whatever—that’s sports. I take issue when people trip you as you’re going hard towards the boards, or take out a defenseless goalie. That’s how people get seriously hurt because you can’t control your temper. That’s where Machado is. And it is a terrible look. It is not “being a character”. It is being an immature [expletive].

I was not an A-Rod fan, but he didn’t do [expletive] like Machado has. You might forgive crossing the line once. He’s developed a disturbing pattern.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

or if you rather

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Jocephus wrote:Image
or if you rather
I was just about to post an edit. I forgot about the ball slap incident.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Popeye_Card wrote: I was just about to post an edit. I forgot about the ball slap incident.
ha and i didn't mean it as any sort of evidence against, or for, anything you said. it does make me laugh though.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

The best part was watching him try to explain to the ump how it was just the result of the way arms move when a man is running.

Machado definitely sends off those ARod vibes.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote: Machado definitely sends off those Hall of Famer vibes.
FIFY

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote: Machado definitely sends off those Hall of Famer vibes.
FIFY
Not yet.

And on the other part of this. Not caring about character is how we got to a President Trump. I'd pass on Machado just on that score.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
FIFY
Not yet.

And on the other part of this. Not caring about character is how we got to a President Trump. I'd pass on Machado just on that score.
A little extreme. One is a racist, homophobic, sexist, murderous demagogue. One is just an edgy baseball player.

Didn't Holliday injure Scutaro in 2012 with a dirty play? Did you chastise him too?