3b Options Beyond Machado

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

3b Options Beyond Machado

Post by Fat Strat »

While much of the early part of this offseason conversation is going to center on the big names -- like Machado or Harper -- I want to look beyond them to more realistic options. 3b is without question an area of potential upgrade. Below is the list of FA 3b'man for 2018-2019. 2018 FA's are obviously available right now. 2019 FA's could be acquirable in trade. Trade availability for any of these players is a huge question mark, so I encourage anyone with any rumors about available 3b'man to post those here and we can collect a more precise list of possible targets.

2018 FA 3b
Adrian Beltre (40)
Asdrubal Cabrera (33)
Josh Donaldson (33)
Ryan Flaherty (32)
Logan Forsythe (32)
David Freese (36) — $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Marwin Gonzalez (30)
Chase Headley (35)
Jung-ho Kang (32) — $5.5MM club option with a $250K buyout
Jed Lowrie (35)
Manny Machado (26)
Mike Moustakas (30) — $15MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Eduardo Nuñez (32) — $5MM player option with a $2MM buyout
Jose Reyes (36)
Andrew Romine (33)
Pablo Sandoval (32)
Luis Valbuena (33)

This really isn't a bad list. But, it's also not a good list. Maybe there are two elite performers here. Certainly Machado (who we aren't discussing here). Donaldson is a huge wildcard and therefore a huge risk. Below them, Freese, Moustakas, and even Cabrera could be a nice addition to a club needing a 3b'man. But, none really represent any kind of significant step up from Gyorko. Moustakas probably is and, so, he might be worth exploring. But, none of those guys, including Moustakas, are really changing our playoff odds.

2019 FA's (Potential Trade Targets)
Nolan Arenado (29)
Matt Carpenter (34) – $18.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Todd Frazier (34)
Jedd Gyorko (31) – $13MM club option for 2020 with a $1MM buyout
Martin Prado (36)
Anthony Rendon (30)
Yangervis Solarte (32) – $8MM club option with a $750K buyout

There is serious production on that list. Unfortunately, we either already have it -- Carpenter or Gyorko -- or it's not acquirable. Do we really think that Arenado or Rendon will be moved this offseason? And to the Cardinals no less (WC competitors for both the Nats and Rockies)? Not a chance.

Who am I missing? Is there any path here for real improvement here outside of Machado? How big of a risk is Josh Donaldson?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 3b Options Beyond Machado

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

If you're not getting Machado or Arenado, then keep Gyorko. Donaldson really isn't going to give you more than Gyorko and you're stuck in another big contract you don't want in a year.

"More realistic options" I am glad the fans accept this yearly gaslighting by DeWitt and have internalized it. I don't blame anyone. Just sucks.

Gyorko gives you similar offensive numbers to Matt Chapman. And his defense was considered above average by most here. Has that changed?
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on October 12 18, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

2 years of Donaldson please.

Then Gorman can take over.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

dmarx114 wrote:2 years of Donaldson please.

I think this move has the Cardinals written all over it. I am in the "pay Harper" crowd but I know the chances of that are very small so I believe Donaldson will be the guy they get.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

1. Donaldson isn't signing anywhere for two years unless you pay him 2/85 or something but I am sure he wants length. This is his big pay day.

2. Gorman is likely going to be a 1B. If Oquendo leaves the org, then I am skeptical of his glove.

3. Gyorko gives ya what Donaldson can give you at this point. The man is breaking down before our eyes.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:

1. Donaldson isn't signing anywhere for two years unless you pay him 2/85 or something but I am sure he wants length. This is his big pay day.

2. Gorman is likely going to be a 1B. If Oquendo leaves the org, then I am skeptical of his glove.

3. Gyorko gives ya what Donaldson can give you at this point. The man is breaking down before our eyes.
1 and 3 contradict each other.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

If you look at Matt Chapman's 2017 and 2018 combined, the offense is really close to Gyorko's. Up until apparently this week, people were saying Gyorko is a plus defender, so I ask again, has that changed?

Again, what's the point of paying Donaldson a lot of money if he breaks down and becomes a Fowler-esque liability?
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on October 12 18, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Please welcome YOUR newest cardinal....eduardo nunez.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Gyorko gives you similar offensive numbers to Matt Chapman. And his defense was considered above average by most here. Has that changed?
What?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Gyorko gives you similar offensive numbers to Matt Chapman. And his defense was considered above average by most here. Has that changed?
What?
Splits at 3B position only for 2017-2018: