GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 26 19, 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: January 10 19, 2:13 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6724
Location: Chicago, IL
There are two things I think will happen.

Edgar will get in because "If Baines is a HOFer, then Edgar is a HOFer."

Someone will leave Rivera off their ballot because "If Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous, no one is unanimous."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 10 19, 4:23 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Posts: 2353
Location: Cherokee
lukethedrifter wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
Quote:
a day ago

If you were granted an extra 2 votes, who would you have voted for?
Tom

a day ago

Bonds and Clemens. I've set that standard. I've written about it. I must hold true to it.
Derrick Goold


here is the standard he sets for himself or uses or whatever
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 296bd.html

For those of you with long memories, did Goold hold the PED guys feet to the fire when they were still playing? Or is this strong sense of morality something he's only discovered at the same time everyone else did? I think his recent political tweets indicate why he's a bit higher on Schilling than some of his journalist brethren, anyway.

The more stuff like this happens, and Baines getting in, the less I find myself caring about any of it. I admire Jay Jaffe's writing on the subject, but I just can't care about the weird twisted moralities of the BBWAA any more.

You could just read Goold’s piece on his HofF criteria instead of speculating that his politics lead him to favor Schilling (also bc I’m pretty sure you’d be wrong about that).

Or you could observe his very obvious political bias in his social media activity, and not need to speculate at all. And what his article about his vote doesn't mention is if he's always been opposed to PED use, or only in recent years. Because if he wasn't, then he's another boring baseball journalist hypocrite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 10 19, 4:29 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 54684
can you link some of his political tweets/bias?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 10 19, 5:13 pm 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 20678
Location: Columbus, OH
Jocephus wrote:
can you link some of his political tweets/bias?


There's this one... The comments are hilarious



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 10 19, 5:26 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 54684
struggling to see a bias in that 1. some wordplay perhaps, a joke depending on ones humor. even so not sure how that would alter ones reporting on baseball. whatever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 10 19, 7:08 pm 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 20678
Location: Columbus, OH
Jocephus wrote:
struggling to see a bias in that 1. some wordplay perhaps, a joke depending on ones humor. even so not sure how that would alter ones reporting on baseball. whatever.


I didn't see bias in it but it was something to do with politics. I couldn't find any others. I didn't look that hard though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 11 19, 10:24 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Posts: 2353
Location: Cherokee
My specific reference was his endless retweeting of right-wing political figures during the midterms in November. I admit to knowing nothing about his political views, I'm just going by the "company" he keeps. It seems uncontroversial to state that it's more likely for right-wingers to want to defend a fellow right-winger, as I might do for someone on the left (should one of them ever advocate for the lynching of journalists).

But, it's all supposition, and clearly few / no people agree with me. I'm sure Goold is an entirely impartial observer, was critical of PED users all the way back when McGwire was smacking dingers all over Busch 2, and should not have any allegations of bias appended to his HOF choices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 1:55 am 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 20678
Location: Columbus, OH


Waino liked this; among others of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 16 19, 7:19 pm 
Online
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36398
Location: Huis Clos
Famous Mortimer wrote:
My specific reference was his endless retweeting of right-wing political figures during the midterms in November. I admit to knowing nothing about his political views, I'm just going by the "company" he keeps. It seems uncontroversial to state that it's more likely for right-wingers to want to defend a fellow right-winger, as I might do for someone on the left (should one of them ever advocate for the lynching of journalists).

But, it's all supposition, and clearly few / no people agree with me. I'm sure Goold is an entirely impartial observer, was critical of PED users all the way back when McGwire was smacking dingers all over Busch 2, and should not have any allegations of bias appended to his HOF choices.



I didn’t see any of dgoold’s endless RTing of right wing pols actually. I tried to go back through his TL to find it but couldn’t go back far enough into Nov. Are you sure you got the right guy? Doesn’t sound like him at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 17 19, 10:17 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Posts: 2353
Location: Cherokee
lukethedrifter wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
My specific reference was his endless retweeting of right-wing political figures during the midterms in November. I admit to knowing nothing about his political views, I'm just going by the "company" he keeps. It seems uncontroversial to state that it's more likely for right-wingers to want to defend a fellow right-winger, as I might do for someone on the left (should one of them ever advocate for the lynching of journalists).

But, it's all supposition, and clearly few / no people agree with me. I'm sure Goold is an entirely impartial observer, was critical of PED users all the way back when McGwire was smacking dingers all over Busch 2, and should not have any allegations of bias appended to his HOF choices.



I didn’t see any of dgoold’s endless RTing of right wing pols actually. I tried to go back through his TL to find it but couldn’t go back far enough into Nov. Are you sure you got the right guy? Doesn’t sound like him at all.

Yes. But I didn't take screenshots as it's not that big a deal to me. I'll happily withdraw the scurrilous allegation because arguing about the political beliefs of a journalist I don't read any more is not in my top million of fun things to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], heyzeus, JoeMcKim, thrill and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group