Goldschmidt to Cardinals for Kelly, Weaver, Young, Comp pick

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: Goldschmidt to Cardinals for Kelly, Weaver, Young, Comp

Post by dmarx114 »

I am gonna guess Goldy is extended before the season starts.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

What is the market for a player of Goldschmidt's caliber? 8 years ago, it was probably about 9/270 or so, but I get the feeling those days are behind us. JD Martinez is probably a decent comp. He was a couple years younger and got, what 5/110? I'd do that deal in a heartbeat for Goldschmidt but I doubt he would.

Obviously there is a large gap between 9/270 and 5/110.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:What is the market for a player of Goldschmidt's caliber? 8 years ago, it was probably about 9/270 or so, but I get the feeling those days are behind us. JD Martinez is probably a decent comp. He was a couple years younger and got, what 5/110? I'd do that deal in a heartbeat for Goldschmidt but I doubt he would.

I think extending him starting this year and front loading the contract makes the most sense.

If extended this year, I think he gets 7/$175. If not extended this year, I think he gets 6/$150.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

So I woke up this morning and this deal still happened.

Sweet.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

dmarx114 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:What is the market for a player of Goldschmidt's caliber? 8 years ago, it was probably about 9/270 or so, but I get the feeling those days are behind us. JD Martinez is probably a decent comp. He was a couple years younger and got, what 5/110? I'd do that deal in a heartbeat for Goldschmidt but I doubt he would.

I think extending him starting this year and front loading the contract makes the most sense.

If extended this year, I think he gets 7/$175. If not extended this year, I think he gets 6/$150.
Not that you guys can't keep talking about this here, but I'm actually in the process of starting a thread about extensions for the Cards pending FA's. Seems like the Cards have a nice core now, but the key to keeping it together is extending multiple players. It's a good discussion that is better off in its own thread.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It was pretty awesome how every MLB team helped artificially deflate JD Martinez’s market and just let him go to the Red Sox without a fight. Maybe the same will happen here.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

dmarx114 wrote:I am gonna guess Goldy is extended before the season starts.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Jocephus wrote:

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Fat Strat wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:

Not that you guys can't keep talking about this here, but I'm actually in the process of starting a thread about extensions for the Cards pending FA's. Seems like the Cards have a nice core now, but the key to keeping it together is extending multiple players. It's a good discussion that is better off in its own thread.
Go for it. I think a 2020 and Beyond discussion would be pretty interesting.

Yesterday I heard a theory explain that the Cards are going to let most of this next year play out without offering any extensions. If this lineup works and they determine Goldschmidt/Ozuna/Mikolas/Wacha project to age well, they'll work on retaining them all. But if not, they can let each walk to stockpile draft picks while not picking up Marp's option. In this case they have accelerated themselves into a rebuild without any additional baggage to shed.

For this reason, they won't sign Harper, Machado, or any other player to long term deal. They'll go for a few more 1-2 year fringe signings to fortify the lineup, trade JMart for prospects, and see where else they can turn blocked assets into picks or prospects. Then, again, if 2019 is going well and they think they can ride these guys out for another 3-5 years, they'll use the picks or prospects from JMart (and other trimmings) to make a trade deadline deal and head into the offseason with the best intentions to retain Goldschmidt and Ozuna and possibly Mikolas and Wacha as well.

(Not saying I suggest this or even agree with it. Just pointing out an emerging theme I'm hearing across the spectrum of amateur and professional sports talk hosts around town.)

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

I am getting lots of congratulatory emails from colleagues today just based on this trade. It's nice being the only Cards fan in the office when something good happens.