GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 17 19, 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 111  Next
PostPosted: December 6 18, 12:37 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Freed Roger wrote:
Busy thread, so sorry if addressed. The comp pick - what is it?

From VEB:

Comp B draft pick, is worth essentially nothing. Last year the Comp B picks were between 69 and 74, which does not appear to be worth even $1 million.

PostPosted: December 6 18, 12:37 pm 
'Burb Boy

Freed Roger wrote:

The pick Theo always [expletive] about the Cardinals having. The one we get for being a small market.

PostPosted: December 6 18, 12:38 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

The pick Theo always [expletive] about the Cardinals having. The one we get for being a small market.

Tell Theo Epstein to worry about his own draft picks

PostPosted: December 6 18, 1:04 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

CardsofSTL wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

Tell Theo Epstein to worry about his own draft picks

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cubs ... aft-picks/

Article if anyone wants to rehash it.

PostPosted: December 6 18, 1:19 pm 
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

jagtrader wrote:
Swirls wrote:
jagtrader wrote:
phins wrote:
He's probably a #4 starter with five years of control. There is a ton of surplus value in that.

Will the loss of Weaver hurt us next year? I don't really think so because I think you can get 2-win pitchers pretty reliably from within or off the scrapheap.

Which is it?

It's both. The surplus value comes in Weaver being essentially free for the next few years, with a couple years still of options and therefore being able to shuttle back and forth between AAA and MLB.

Sure a 2-win pitcher is fairly easy to acquire in FA or "from the scrap heap," but they likely will be veterans or perhaps AAAA pitchers without remaining options. There is definitely value in a player still having options and making the league minimum.

It can't be both. Weaver will almost certainly prove more valuable than his contract until arbitration hikes his salary. But if you can throw John Gant out there and not tell the difference, it's not really value. It's saving a few million on the margins. That's not worth a whole lot when you're spending $150 million.

There is a lot of surplus value to Weaver's contract status if you put him in your rotation and he gives you 2-wins over the next few years for basically free. Where the Cardinals excel- and the reason I believe the Cardinals can find pitchers to give you that level of production- is in creating decent pitchers from average prospects.

The fact is Weaver is still an asset with value. While the value to the Cardinals may be lower, to a team like Arizona, which is rebuilding and hoping that Weaver turns into more of a 3-win pitcher, there is a lot of value in that.

I can see how the statements would appear contradictory though.

PostPosted: December 6 18, 2:04 pm 
Perennial All-Star

wart57 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
If Goldschmidt is a one year rental, why not go for Bryce?

Half of my off season prophesy has come true...

Now for Bryce....

I’m pretty sure I was the first one to suggest Goldy this off-season but you were quick to jump on the band wagon.

Wrong!

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60064&p=1712647&hilit=goldschmidt#p1712647

:cool:

Please I brought it up 3 weeks earlier on page 9 of the not worthy of its own thread.

PostPosted: December 6 18, 2:06 pm 
Perennial All-Star

We gave up way less then I figured we would

PostPosted: December 6 18, 2:29 pm 
Perennial All-Star

There's so much depth now, particularly with pitchers, and payrolls are so high that having a No. 4 starter who's valuable relative to his salary just isn't worth as much. This is especially true in the era of super teams. The light bulb went on for the Cardinals. Having a bunch of Luke Weavers keeps the bottom from dropping out on their 88-win season but it doesn't win them anything.

PostPosted: December 6 18, 2:34 pm 
Everday Unicorn

I'm giddy. This is going to be a fun team to watch. But we really, really need to get to work on that bullpen now. I found myself thinking "man, we're going to miss the stablizing effect of Bud Norris." Bud Norris. That is not a good sign.

PostPosted: December 6 18, 2:35 pm 
99% conan clips

heyzeus wrote:
I'm goldy. This is going to be a fun team to watch. But we really, really need to get to work on that bullpen now.

ftfy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 111  Next