CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 7/2 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Mariners(Carasiti/LeBlanc)9

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Matt Carpenter was due back in the Cardinals’ lineup Sunday afternoon at Petco Park after being rested for three games to regroup and work on his swing. His return to starting duty was delayed, however, when he came down with a bug that kept him out of St. Louis’ 5-3 win over San Diego in 11 innings.

The third baseman has 10 home runs this season but has a .216/.325/.381 slash line for a .706 OPS.

The illness affecting Carpenter wasn’t expected to keep him down long, and Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said he expects to have Carpenter starting again when the team begins a series at T-Mobile Park against the Mariners on Tuesday.

“Matt Carpenter is not going to sit on the bench,” Shildt said. “Matt Carpenter is a player we need to perform for us, and he will perform for us. He needs to be in our lineup to get the opportunity to perform.”
Rookie Tommy Edman made his fourth straight start in the leadoff spot for St. Louis on Sunday, finishing 0-for-5 with three strikeouts. After subbing for Carpenter the previous three games, he shifted to second base on Sunday as Kolten Wong got a scheduled day off. Wong entered the game in the eighth as a pinch-hitter for Harrison Bader. Wong took over at second base in the bottom half of the inning, with Edman moving to third.

Through his first 15 big league games, Edman is slashing .273/.294/.545 with two stolen bases.

“He’s taking good at-bats, playing good defense,” Shildt said. “He’s creating more opportunities for himself.”
Shildt said he’s still weighing how to use the designated hitter in the upcoming series at Seattle. “Obviously, Jose Martinez will be a candidate for that,” he said.

Right-handers Mike Mayers (right lat strain) and Ryan Helsley (right shoulder impingement) each pitched an inning Saturday for Triple-A Memphis on rehab assignments.

“They were both quality outings,” Shildt said. “Looks like they both recovered well.”

Mayers allowed a solo home run. Helsley tossed a scoreless inning after failing to retire any of the four batters he saw in his first rehab appearance.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Googling a start time for Tuesday's game (10:10 Eastern) yields the following result.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I like what we are getting out of Tommy Ballgame; but its true that Carpenter needs to be a productive hitter for this team to do anything other than flounder.

Diamond Jack needs to turn things around tonight too.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

I plan to show up when the gates open, go get my Hello Kitty backpack, go to the Mariners team store and buy a Cardinals cap (it’s strange that I don’t already have one), then make my way to the visitors’ dugout and see about getting an autograph. It’s my understanding that pitchers tend to hang out in the bullpen before the game, so I might have to settle for someone other than Wainwright.

EDIT: It just occurred to me to check eBay for Marcell Ozuna autographs. I found one on a Cardinals cap, and the seller accepts offers, so I made one. I’ll have to wait to see how the seller responds, but if I can get that, I will instead of buying one at the Mariners team store.
Last edited by Mary1966 on July 2 19, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

CardsofSTL wrote:Googling a start time for Tuesday's game (10:10 Eastern) yields the following result.

True, but I may stay up for this one to see if Mary makes an appearance when they scan the crowd for Cards gear.

Mary, where are you sitting?

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

Today - Section 335, Row 25, Seat 1
Tomorrow - Section 190, Row 11, Seat 6
Thursday - Section 190, Row 8, Seat 5