All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 3/17 ST GDT: Cardinals(Gant)@Marlins(Richards)12PMCT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cardinals haven't faced Richards this spring yet apparently. DOOM

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Pena, who, like Wieters, is in camp as a non-roster invitee, returned to the lineup on Saturday for the Cardinals' 8-5 win over the Nationals FITTEAM Ballpark of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach. He played five innings, had three at-bats -- though no hits -- and threw out Yadiel Hernandez attempting to steal second.

"He got the three at-bats we were hoping to get him, he threw a guy out ... he's in a good spot," Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said. "I feel like he's back."

The decision -- Pena or Wieters -- will have to be made soon. They both have opt-out clauses in their Minor League deals that will allow them to become free agents if not added to the Major League roster by the end of camp.

"We're continuing to gather information to make a decision," Shildt said. "It'll be a decision that will be made within a week."

Pena had a hot start to the spring before his injury, logging five hits in 14 at-bats with three RBIs over five games. He prepared for Saturday's game knowing he had some catching up to do.
Reliever Luke Gregerson threw a bullpen session on Saturday, his third this spring, and while he said he has made noticeable improvements, he has yet to take "that big jump forward."

Gregerson, who missed 128 games with a shoulder injury last season, was optimistic about his progress but acknowledged there's still work to do.

"I guess I should expect that, because I didn't [pitch] for so long, and there's always a catch-up period," Gregerson said. "But whatever was going on in my shoulder is starting to feel tremendously better."
Daniel Ponce de Leon allowed three earned runs over four innings in his start against the Astros on Friday and will carry a spring ERA of 7.71 into the final stages of his audition for the fifth starter job.

Shildt said on Saturday that Ponce de Leon will make another spring start, as scheduled, with hopes for more efficient innings than he had during his outing against Houston.

"It was a long inning, short inning, longer inning, shorter inning," Shildt said. "We want to get more shorter innings, more consistency controlling counts. His stuff's more than fine, obviously."
The Cardinals will play the Marlins at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Sunday at 12:05 p.m. CT in Jupiter. Right-hander John Gant will make his fifth appearance and third start of the spring for St. Louis, while the Marlins, who will be the home team for this game, will counter with right-hander Trevor Richards who is also competing for a rotation spot in his team.
Eventually, Nolan Gorman is going to be known for something more than being the first player ever selected in baseball's June Draft who was born in the 2000s. On Saturday, he took an encouraging first step in pivoting the conversation toward more relevant topics.

The 18-year-old third baseman, a late addition to the lineup on Saturday, launched a solo homer off Kyle Barraclough in the seventh inning of the Cardinals' 8-5 comeback win over the Nationals at FITTEAM Ballpark of the Palm Beaches.

The home run, Gorman’s first hit of the spring in his first start, was one of several significant moments of an eventful game for the young prospect, who struck out three times -- twice against three-time Cy Young winner Max Scherzer -- and also made two errors at third base, both in the eighth inning.

The memories of the errors will fade. The trajectory of the home run, and the speed by which it left the park, are likely to stick in his mind longer. (As is the memory of finding out he was starting this game through Cardinals Twitter.)

The Cardinals filled their lineup card Saturday mostly with players who will not be making the Opening Day roster, so in that respect, Gorman, the 61st-best prospect in baseball according to MLB Pipeline, fit in well. But still, it was significant that they picked the 18-year-old prospect to take the spot vacated by first baseman Rangel Ravelo, who was scratched with general soreness.

Gorman's big league ETA isn't until sometime around 2022, and he's only been in the organization nine months, after being drafted in the first round in 2018. It's really early to see him in this setting, even if it's just Spring Training.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

marp scratched with back tightness...and so it begins

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Weaksauce Dexter

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

I'm reading an awful novel called "Look Homeward, Angel." My book club selected it, and they have a history of introducing me to good writers, but they messed up on this one. For the love of God, do not read this book. Anyway, the first 100 or so pages are about a guy named Gant (eventually the story transitions to his son, Eugene). Everybody just calls him Gant. Gant is prone to three-day benders and blood-curdling rants about how mean his wife is. So I'm imagining that's an accurate depiction of today's starting pitcher.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Who doesn’t love em a good 3 day bender. Ie, the weekend.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Cardinal hitters: it's a young guy. Swing early and often.

Noname Richards: changeup, changeup, changeup, changeup, changeup..

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Play the kids; score 8. Play the starters; get no-hit.