Matt Carpenter 3rd baseman?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Matt Carpenter 3rd baseman?

Post by JoeMcKim »

dmarx114 wrote:This is the only drawback of today.

All things being equal, Carpenter at 3rd is not a good option. But we will win more games as a result of the trade, so you make the move.

Carpenter and Wacha to Yankees for Torres. Who says no? (Probably yanks, lol).
Once Gorman makes it to the majors and prices he can hit at that level is probably when you try to move Carp.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Fat Strat wrote:At least Carpenter has all winter to build shoulder strength in his throwing arm.
Is throwing strength his problem?

As mentioned my knowledge of defensive metrics is limited. Looking at FG and his Inside Edge fielding he's 23% on unlikely(10-40) plays, 48% on even (40-60) plays, 80% on likely (60-90) plays. That seems like he's middle of the road in grabbing balls if that's what I think it's measuring.

If anyone thing he's a wizard at 1B his UZR and DRS numbers at 1B don't seem particularly more impressive. I'm sure he's fine and we're overblowing the defensive stuff for Marp at third.

However, the pitching staff and coaches do seem to favor having a good defense behind them.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:and we never have to hear “sign Moustakas” here ever again.
until next year
That's when we hear "Sign Rendon"

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

vinsanity wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:At least Carpenter has all winter to build shoulder strength in his throwing arm.
Is throwing strength his problem?

As mentioned my knowledge of defensive metrics is limited. Looking at FG and his Inside Edge fielding he's 23% on unlikely(10-40) plays, 48% on even (40-60) plays, 80% on likely (60-90) plays. That seems like he's middle of the road in grabbing balls if that's what I think it's measuring.

If anyone thing he's a wizard at 1B his UZR and DRS numbers at 1B don't seem particularly more impressive. I'm sure he's fine and we're overblowing the defensive stuff for Marp at third.

However, the pitching staff and coaches do seem to favor having a good defense behind them.
I don’t know that Carpenter can fix his lateral range at this point in his career but you would think that strength training and rehab would allow him to improve his rainbow throws to 1b that we saw last year because his shoulder was injured. Added arm strength can’t hurt his overall defense and it should be gainable.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

C-Gold Glover
1B-Gold Glover
2B-Could easily be Gold Glover this year
SS-Very underrated defender
3B-Matt Carpenter
LF-Gold Glover
CF-Could easily be Gold Glover
RF-If O'Neill, he could win a Gold Glove some day.

Marp would have to be Jose Martinez level bad to make this defense anything less than excellent. We can't have 9 Mookie Bettses out there.

I'd also argue that he will be average at 3B. The yo yo back and forth from first to third hasn't done him any favors lately, as no one apart from the elite defenders can play more than one position without suffering some at both.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Ha Ozuna Gold Glover

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

Secret Weapon wrote:Ha Ozuna Gold Glover
He won one, did he not?

I'm not saying he deserved it, but if the surgery heals his shoulder, you'll see improved defense from Ozuna. He was a +4.2 by UZR and 8 DRS last year, as is.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:and we never have to hear “sign Moustakas” here ever again.
until next year
Nope. Moustakas won't be available next year because the Padres are going to give him the Hosmer contract - 8/$144.