Get Greedy

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Re: Get Greedy

Post by jagtrader »

If they could trade an excess position player for a potential stud reliever, that’d be great. More likely they’ll sign someone like Britton and people will be sad.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

jagtrader wrote:If they could trade an excess position player for a potential stud reliever, that’d be great. More likely they’ll sign someone like Britton and people will be sad.
Britton doesn’t have the upside I’m seeking. I’d be sad.

I like looking at has-been starters that could transition to great relievers. Not as interested in has-been relievers.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Just Goldschmidt probably puts us on par with the Cubs and maybe a tick below. We probably are ahead of the Brewers now. Harper would make us clear NL Central favorites and possibly NL favorites. To me, that is worth it.
I agree with this but I still think even if the Cards get Harper, the Dodgers are tops in the NL. They are just so insanely deep at every position. Their pitching staff is still quite a bit better. And if the Cards were to sign Harper (big IF), they still could sign Machado.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

pioneer98 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Just Goldschmidt probably puts us on par with the Cubs and maybe a tick below. We probably are ahead of the Brewers now. Harper would make us clear NL Central favorites and possibly NL favorites. To me, that is worth it.
I agree with this but I still think even if the Cards get Harper, the Dodgers are tops in the NL. They are just so insanely deep at every position. Their pitching staff is still quite a bit better. And if the Cards were to sign Harper (big IF), they still could sign Machado.
There really isn't anything we can do to catch the Dodgers.

The good thing is that all we have to do is catch the Cubs/Brewers and then potentially be better than the Dodgers (or whoever) for a 7 game span.

We should be in position to take a real run at the division championship. And then it's a crapshoot.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

pioneer98 wrote:
Based on my hasty math, the 2019 Steamer WAR projections agree with you.

After Goldschmidt trade:
Dodgers: 47.4
Cubs: 42.1
Cards: 39.3

If Harper adds his projected 4.9 WAR and Fowler's .7 WAR are subtracted the Cards sit at 43.5, ahead of the Cubs but behind the Dodgers.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Fat Strat wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
There really isn't anything we can do to catch the Dodgers.

The good thing is that all we have to do is catch the Cubs/Brewers and then potentially be better than the Dodgers (or whoever) for a 7 game span.

We should be in position to take a real run at the division championship. And then it's a crapshoot.

Yeah I know. I was just saying that even signing Harper I don't think the Cards would be favorites to win the NL entering the season. Their odds would be a helluva lot better, but still not favorites.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Popeye_Card wrote:If we go for staring pitching, I think you aim for either cheap gambles with upside, or go big in a trade for a #1/2/3 type.

On that note, our favorite trading partner is looking to shed SP surplus this offseason. They have a gamble with upside (Salazar), a solid #2-3 type (Bauer), or a #1 with a great contract who may or may not be available (Kluber).
Bauer would arguably be our best pitcher if we got him. He will likely not match what he did last year, but his K and BB rates are for real. And he's still only 27.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Dodgers have a better pitching staff, but I like the Cardinals lineup and defense better.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Popeye_Card wrote:Dodgers have a better pitching staff, but I like the Cardinals lineup and defense better.
I think I still like the Dodgers better in every facet. Lord that lineup is deep.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:Dodgers have a better pitching staff, but I like the Cardinals lineup and defense better.
I think I still like the Dodgers better in every facet. Lord that lineup is deep.
Ours is deep too though, and I think a little better on the top end.