GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 22 19, 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: December 7 18, 5:42 pm 
Perennial All-Star

lukethedrifter wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
As Jocephus notes, there is a lot of good research that shows the shift isn't hurting the game like Manfred and others are saying it is. It is hurting some individual players, and disproportionately impacting lefties, but overall it is not creating less action.

One of the things I love about baseball is the chess match that happens between pitcher and batter. Now that game is increasingly extending to the field as well. I pay closer attention when a defense dares a batter to hit around the shift. I get more excited when the batter beats that challenge. And, when they do, it creates more action rather than less.

You probably like the zone defense too.

Set a high school record for career steals playing the top of a 1-2-2. Damn straight I like the zone.

Summit HS Class of 94?

Nope not me. That class have a Zone Lord?

It was the first year they were open.

Well I walked right into that one, didn't I.

PostPosted: December 7 18, 9:33 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

MDCardsFan wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
My question would be, how would the league implement this?

One way would be to limit where fielders can field a ball. Of course, this would hinder truly elite defensive players from making truly elite plays. For instance, can a SS field a ball on the right side of 2B? I mean, there are non-shift alignments where they do. Going this route would seem problematic.

Conversely, they can mandate where infielders are positioned prior to a pitch. But, how is that defined? Will they draw boxes on the infield? And if so at what point are fielders allowed to change positions? Can fielders leave their position as soon as the pitcher goes into motion? It's going to take, what, 1.5 seconds from the windup to the pitch reaching home. Not that it's a great idea, but defenders could conceivably shift their position substantially in that time. Further, if you don't allow fielders to move during the windup, how can they prepare for bunts?

I know these are nitpicky details and somewhat unlikely to occur. But, there's what 60 some odd batters on average in a game and thousands of games every year with multiple pitches per AB. Changing the fundamental rules of the game will present ways that alter it in unintended ways, imho.

It seems to me that you could mandate two infielders to the left of 2nd and 2 to the right fairly easily. You could shift some, but not quite so extreme as what we see today. At that point, they can field any ball they can get to.

Sure, but what happens when the RF comes in and occupies the deep infield position and then the CF shifts to RF and LF to CF with 3B playing a shallow LF?

PostPosted: December 7 18, 11:40 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
MDCardsFan wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
My question would be, how would the league implement this?

One way would be to limit where fielders can field a ball. Of course, this would hinder truly elite defensive players from making truly elite plays. For instance, can a SS field a ball on the right side of 2B? I mean, there are non-shift alignments where they do. Going this route would seem problematic.

Conversely, they can mandate where infielders are positioned prior to a pitch. But, how is that defined? Will they draw boxes on the infield? And if so at what point are fielders allowed to change positions? Can fielders leave their position as soon as the pitcher goes into motion? It's going to take, what, 1.5 seconds from the windup to the pitch reaching home. Not that it's a great idea, but defenders could conceivably shift their position substantially in that time. Further, if you don't allow fielders to move during the windup, how can they prepare for bunts?

I know these are nitpicky details and somewhat unlikely to occur. But, there's what 60 some odd batters on average in a game and thousands of games every year with multiple pitches per AB. Changing the fundamental rules of the game will present ways that alter it in unintended ways, imho.

It seems to me that you could mandate two infielders to the left of 2nd and 2 to the right fairly easily. You could shift some, but not quite so extreme as what we see today. At that point, they can field any ball they can get to.

Sure, but what happens when the RF comes in and occupies the deep infield position and then the CF shifts to RF and LF to CF with 3B playing a shallow LF?

PostPosted: December 8 18, 7:46 am 
Veteran Player

You could just define infielders as the four closest fielders to home plate (excluding the pitcher and catcher) for the purpose of enforcing MDCardsFan's rule.

PostPosted: December 8 18, 9:18 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Kincaid wrote:
You could just define infielders as the four closest fielders to home plate (excluding the pitcher and catcher) for the purpose of enforcing MDCardsFan's rule.

And if the 3b in LF is a step closer than the RF, who is going to measure that? I mean if a batter can’t push one 8 feet down the left field line, how worried is a team about him hitting it 300 feet down the same line.

PostPosted: December 8 18, 9:41 am 
Hall Of Famer

This is silly. Other than the battery, the 7 defenders can play whereever they damn well please. Good hitters will find the holes. Play ball.

PostPosted: December 8 18, 9:52 am 
-go birds

PostPosted: December 8 18, 12:02 pm 
The Last Word

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
This is silly. Other than the battery, the 7 defenders can play whereever they damn well please. Good hitters will find the holes. Play ball.

Exactly. You don't re-define the game to accommodate a small fraction of players.

PostPosted: December 8 18, 12:07 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Socnorb11 wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

Exactly. You don't re-define the game to accommodate a small fraction of players.

Yeah... That'd be like creating an offense only position to accommodate players that are defensive liabilities....oh [expletive]

PostPosted: December 8 18, 12:13 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

CardsofSTL wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

Yeah... That'd be like creating an offense only position to accommodate players that are defensive liabilities....oh [expletive]

Pitchers make up 50 percent of MLB players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next