Great Announcers of the Past

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Great Announcers of the Past

Post by jim »

Watched Game 7, 1982 last week for the first time in my life. Tony Kubek was part of the team, and listening to him reminded me that he was one of my alltime favoirte announcers. The guy that reminds me of him today a little bit is Campbell. I learned alot of baseball from Tony Kubek doing the Saturday game of the week.

We need more Tony Kubek's in the booth. Guys that explain the game and get into the nuts and bolts of it a little bit.

Haloed be thy Molina
AA Minor League Player

Re: Great Announcers of the Past

Post by Haloed be thy Molina »

I like Dave Cambell.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

Interesting topic. For the purposes of this discussion, I would suggest limiting it to the "analyst" guys, or what used to be the "second guy" in the booth, since otherwise we'll start naming Buck and Scully and Gowdy and the others.

Kubek is a good choice. He not only knew what he was talking about, but he wasn't afraid to state his opinion - which put on him Steinbrenner's list for a few years there...

Campbell is a good choice, too - although I would submit that Sutcliffe, while not always good, does have his moments.

jim

Post by jim »

I'll call your Sutcliffe and raise you a Herschiser.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Jmodene wrote:Interesting topic. For the purposes of this discussion, I would suggest limiting it to the "analyst" guys, or what used to be the "second guy" in the booth, since otherwise we'll start naming Buck and Scully and Gowdy and the others.
I'll name Buck for his time as the "second guy" in the booth with Harry during the '60s.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

can we talk about Buck when he was the second guy in the booth? :wink:

i would love hearing what Knothole vet could tell us about announcers he listened to.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

whiterat24 wrote:I'll call your Sutcliffe and raise you a Herschiser.
Joe Morgan and Steve Phillips

I may get flamed for this, but I loved Shannon with Jack, as I was growing up.

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

a_smith wrote:can we talk about Buck when he was the second guy in the booth? :wink:

i would love hearing what Knothole vet could tell us about announcers he listened to.
I thought about that as soon as I typed it.

The impression I get from what I've read, though, is that Jack was more the "alternate" announcer than the #2 guy in the booth, at least early on. Think Ross Porter, who only did PBP when Scully wasn't in the booth, or who did the middle innings while Scully did the first three and the last three - I seem to recall that was pretty much how Carey and Buck split the work (with Jack doing a lot of the commercials and stuff) and Jack has written that he was always worried that something good would happen while *he* was on the mike instead of Harry, because Harry would take it personally.

Oh well - another "analyst" name to throw out there - Steve Stone.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Great Announcers of the past IMO

Jack Buck and Mike Shannon on KMOX from St. Louis
Harry Kalas, Richie Ashburn and Andy Muser doing Phillies games on WPHL Channel 17 From Philadelphia
Lindsey Nelson, Ralph Kiner, and Bob Murphy doing the Mets Games on WOR in NY
Frank Messer, Bill White and Phil Rizzuto doing the Yankees Games on WPIX in NY
Ned Martin, Bob Montgomery and Ken Harrelson doing the Red Sox Games on TV38 from Boston

During the World Series I liked listening to Jack Buck, Bill White and Johnny Bench

jim

Post by jim »

Jmodene wrote:
a_smith wrote:can we talk about Buck when he was the second guy in the booth? :wink:

I thought about that as soon as I typed it.

The impression I get from what I've read, though, is that Jack was more the "alternate" announcer than the #2 guy in the booth, at least early on. Think Ross Porter, who only did PBP when Scully wasn't in the booth, or who did the middle innings while Scully did the first three and the last three - I seem to recall that was pretty much how Carey and Buck split the work (with Jack doing a lot of the commercials and stuff) and Jack has written that he was always worried that something good would happen while *he* was on the mike instead of Harry, because Harry would take it personally.

Oh well - another "analyst" name to throw out there - Steve Stone.
Steve Stone is great. Right now my top 3 would be Campbell, Hersh, and Stone in that order. And Kubek would have all three of those guys beat imo.