Yasiel Puig: Would ya?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Yasiel Puig: Would ya?

Post by heyzeus »

Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times writes that there is "industry-wide speculation" the Dodgers will trade Yasiel Puig this offseason.
Hernandez adds that it could happen as soon as next week's Winter Meetings. The speculation does make sense, as the Dodgers are loaded with outfield depth and Puig is slated to hit free agency next winter. Hernandez also notes that Puig was "disgruntled" by being used as a platoon player in 2018 and "is now described as distrustful of management and open to playing for another team." Puig's name has popped up in trade rumors often in the past, but the Dodgers obviously haven't gotten any offers they felt were good enough to pull the trigger on. Whether that changes this offseason remains to be seen.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Yasiel Puig: Would ya?

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

A thousand times yes.

Hard to do on this roster though. But I would.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Hell no; I would hate to have to root for that clown

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

My wife said "yes".

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Puig is a big reason UZR/DRS stats fail. He's easily one of the best defensive RFs in the game. Period.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Puig is a big reason UZR/DRS stats fail. He's easily one of the best defensive RFs in the game. Period.
This is incorrect. I would take Puig and love to root for him but no isn’t easily one of the best. Has his moments though.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

heyzeus wrote:
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times writes that there is "industry-wide speculation" the Dodgers will trade Yasiel Puig this offseason.
Hernandez adds that it could happen as soon as next week's Winter Meetings. The speculation does make sense, as the Dodgers are loaded with outfield depth and Puig is slated to hit free agency next winter. Hernandez also notes that Puig was "disgruntled" by being used as a platoon player in 2018 and "is now described as distrustful of management and open to playing for another team." Puig's name has popped up in trade rumors often in the past, but the Dodgers obviously haven't gotten any offers they felt were good enough to pull the trigger on. Whether that changes this offseason remains to be seen.
If I could unload Fowler and somehow keep O'Neill, then maybe. I just don't think the return will be worth the cost with him. He's pretty well established now as a solid but not great player. 2.5-3.5 WAR is about what you could expect. I suspect the Dodgers will want to pretend like he's much more than that and demand more than what you would normally have to pay to get a solid starter.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Absolutely yes. Then my other favorite non-Cardinal player would be playing for the Cards too!

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Everything must be backed with statistics!

Except this opinion which is indisputable and not backed by statistics.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Puig is a big reason UZR/DRS stats fail. He's easily one of the best defensive RFs in the game. Period.
So... the same DRS and UZR that say he's +40 DRS and +11.2 UZR career?

I'm probably reading those wrong, since you ended your post with the definitive "Period." But I really think those stats are suggesting that Puig is a darn good defender.

Edit: DRS says that Puig is the 12th best OF'er in the league since '13 and that's with 1000 innings less than the leader (Heyward). That includes CF'ers. So, yes, even the stats agree that Puig is one of the best defensive RF'ers in the game. UZR has Puig at 19th.
Last edited by Fat Strat on December 7 18, 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.