Ottavino says game is different now and Babe would struggle

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: Ottavino says game is different now and Babe would strug

Post by Hoot45 »

TheTimeIsNow wrote:While we're on the topic, imagine LeBron playing professional basketball in the 1920s.
There would be a lot of angry white people, for one thing.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

TheTimeIsNow wrote:I am absolutely with Ottavino on this one. Babe Ruth would not even make the Majors if he played in 2018.
Not only would he make the majors today I think he’d excell as a top of the rotation starter.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Similarly, Adam Ottavino would be out of baseball within a year or two if he were to go back to Ruth's era and try to pitch the way he does now. Relief pitchers weren't as prevalent back then and the relievers also started some percentage of games. Regardless, putting ottavino on a team in the 1920s would increase his workload precipitously and he'd either adjust to preserve his arm or be out of a job.

Obviously, the way pitching staffs are managed now is more advantageous to both arms and preventing runs. But, let's compare apples to apples.

And, as the game changed to allow pitchers to be more specialized, hitters naturally adjusted. So, yeah, the game is different today and if you pluck peak form babe ruth from the 20s and put him in a lineup with no heads up as to what is happening, he'd obviously struggle. But, give him a bat that weighs half as much and give him some time to study video and recognize breaking pitches and then it just becomes an argument of how good was his hand eye coordination and fast-twitch muscles.

In the end, I would imagine he would rate highly on both accounts and be a capable hitter.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

https://www.mlb.com/news/rockies-right- ... -123006164

Adam's career would've been over 3 years ago (age 29) when he blew his elbow out, if he played back in the day.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

STEINBRENNER: We wanna look to the future, we gotta tear down the past. Babe Ruth was nothing more than a fat old man, with little-girl legs. And here's something I just found out recently. He wasn't really a sultan!

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I hate these kinds of comparisons about athletes over different eras. They are stupid and a waste of time.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

stlouie_lipp wrote:I hate these kinds of comparisons about athletes over different eras. They are stupid and a waste of time.
Yep, you could take anyone from 50 years ago in any sport and make this argument. You could also say just about anyone playing today in any sport would dominate 50 years ago. Things change and the game changes.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

If Babe Ruth was born in 1998 and got called up to the Yankees, he'd have a six pack and hit 50 home runs a year.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

NDark wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:I hate these kinds of comparisons about athletes over different eras. They are stupid and a waste of time.
Yep, you could take anyone from 50 years ago in any sport and make this argument. You could also say just about anyone playing today in any sport would dominate 50 years ago. Things change and the game changes.
I think if the opposite sometimes and wonder what fringe player from today could you drop in 1920 and he’d be a Hall of Famer. It’s a useless comparison either way.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I think it's pretty interesting really especially in baseball where size and typical fitness/athleticism don't automatically equate into greatness.

You look at running for instance and it's crystal clear how much 'better' aka faster athletes are today than 100 years ago.