GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 18 19, 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB Payroll Spending
PostPosted: January 7 19, 11:33 am 
99% conan clips

Quote:
Rod Becks Handlebar Mustache
12:32
Rosenthal's article today about how brokeass the Cubs are has me quite sad :-(

Dan Szymborski
12:32
Half of what you see from teams is posturing

PostPosted: January 15 19, 9:31 am 
Everday Unicorn

As the offseason drags longer, with few free agent signings at all -- much less the big ones -- it's pretty clear that the CBA is broken and something's going to have to change to prevent a strike when it's up in 2022.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 10:36 am 
Next Gen Wart

Deadspin actually had a solid article about MLB Payroll Spending: https://deadspin.com/baseball-doesnt-ne ... 1831644811

PostPosted: January 15 19, 10:39 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

heyzeus wrote:
As the offseason drags longer, with few free agent signings at all -- much less the big ones -- it's pretty clear that the CBA is broken and something's going to have to change to prevent a strike when it's up in 2022.

Yup. Not looking good as it has sounded like the vets are looking at the kids saying "this is what will happen to you". Instead of saying, "we need to make sure you get paid."

PostPosted: January 15 19, 10:46 am 
Perennial All-Star

I have no doubt there will be a lockout in 2022. The question is just whether or not any games will be missed like in '72, '81, or '94.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 11:02 am 
All-Star

Fat Strat wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Yup. Not looking good as it has sounded like the vets are looking at the kids saying "this is what will happen to you". Instead of saying, "we need to make sure you get paid."

I'm not sure what you think the players can do under the terms of the current CBA to make sure younger players get paid. I think they're probably aware they gave away too much, but it might be useful to phrase it like "the owners are exploiting everything they can, in every possible way" rather than "the players are only interested in themselves".

PostPosted: January 15 19, 11:19 am 
gone fission

Famous Mortimer wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

I'm not sure what you think the players can do under the terms of the current CBA to make sure younger players get paid. I think they're probably aware they gave away too much, but it might be useful to phrase it like "the owners are exploiting everything they can, in every possible way" rather than "the players are only interested in themselves".

They can't do *anything* under the terms of the current CBA, which is the problem. Yes, it's entirely the union's fault for not realizing what they gave up. Yes, the owners are greedy, and whether or not they saw the writing on the wall with this current CBA, they're absolutely taking advantage of it right now. So once negotiations happen, the player's union is going to demand younger players get paid more based on their actual worth rather than getting the league minimum for 3 years and then arbitration. Put everyone on the same playing field regardless of service time.

Owners will balk at the idea unless the veterans agree to take pay cuts so that they're again getting paid based on their current worth.

Player's union will balk at this, because they really only care about the veterans, and they don't want to take a pay cut.

Cue lockout for a sizable chunk of the 2022 season, if not the entire season.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 11:35 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Yeah, Swirls covered this well. Players union has consistently protected the vets while not exactly going to the mattresses for arb and pre-arb players. That's where the players can make their money. That's also where the owners are willing to put the most money.

But, I think the debate will end up being about the veterans not getting paid with plenty of chicken-screeching about collusion. We're seeing plenty of this already.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 11:52 am 
'Burb Boy

The owners are willing to do neither.

I don’t think it’s incongruous to think all players should be paid more.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 11:59 am 
Master of Hyperbole

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
The owners are willing to do neither.

I don’t think it’s incongruous to think all players should be paid more.

+++

This is why strikes are necessary.

I also think it's no surprise that a certain George W. Bush intel advisory board member will be looking to cash out his winnings before the upcoming strike/possible BPV2 lease issues.

Yes, I think BDW is planning to sell the team. Just a hunch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next