MLB Payroll Spending

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: MLB Payroll Spending

Post by Hoot45 »

TheoSqua wrote:Deadspin actually had a solid article about MLB Payroll Spending: https://deadspin.com/baseball-doesnt-ne ... 1831644811
Do I need to go to confessional now and admit to my priest that I thought a Deadpsin article was actually thoughtful and informative?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Apologies if it's already been shared, but:

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/1/14 ... per-murray

Interesting article.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Hoot45 wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:Deadspin actually had a solid article about MLB Payroll Spending: https://deadspin.com/baseball-doesnt-ne ... 1831644811
Do I need to go to confessional now and admit to my priest that I thought a Deadpsin article was actually thoughtful and informative?

I feel they churn out a lot of valuable work... but then decide to take random dumps on Jon Jay for whatever reason.

Anyhow, of Baseball Prospectus' Top 10 free agents:

- 2 have taken 1-year pillow deals
- 2 have taken fairly low two-year deals
- 5 are unsigned a month before pitchers and catchers report
- 1 is Patrick Corbin

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Mortimer's article says that the players are the only ones who can fix this (with a work stoppage). I disagree. We, as fans, could change it. We won't though. We're addicts, and the owners are our dope dealers.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

If the rest of this offseason is anything like the remainder of last offseason, we are going to be looking at flat Opening Day payrolls. Even more troublesome for the players is that while Opening Day payroll was down about one percent from 2017 to 2018, when the end of season numbers were calculated, that figure was closer to 2.5%. While not definitive yet, there seems to be a pretty good possibility that major league payrolls will go down for the second consecutive season.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mlb-payroll ... p-in-2019/

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

At this point I want Harper and Machado to sign with Yomiuri Giants and the Hamfighters and round the bases holding their middle finger up on every hr trot for the camera to send back to the US.

Take the Kevin Durant way out for a year, eat some whale, and see if anyone found any change in the couch for 2020.

bluesman1111
Fringe Major League Player

Post by bluesman1111 »

It's obvious the next CBA will get players paid earlier, but it's equally obvious they're isn't much an appetite for long term expensive deals to players well into their mid to late thirties. The next adjustment has to come from the players and their agents. If Harper and Machado were willing to except 6 to 7 year deals, they would already be signed to a ridiculous amount of money. If they were willing to bet on themselves, like the Great Tommy Pham, well then they could still get another deal when they're 32 or 33 years old.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:At this point I want Harper and Machado to sign with Yomiuri Giants and the Hamfighters and round the bases holding their middle finger up on every hr trot for the camera to send back to the US.

Take the Kevin Durant way out for a year, eat some whale, and see if anyone found any change in the couch for 2020.
The Durant way out? Wouldn't that be signing with the Red Sox for below market value so they can win a WS? Taking less money in order to win a championship is the ultimate team player move.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:At this point I want Harper and Machado to sign with Yomiuri Giants and the Hamfighters and round the bases holding their middle finger up on every hr trot for the camera to send back to the US.

The Durant way out? Wouldn't that be signing with the Red Sox for below market value so they can win a WS? Taking less money in order to win a championship is the ultimate team player move.
Putting up ridiculous numbers in NPB would be the kind of farcical subversion of meaningful competition only KD could appreciate. But I'd support them.

Sucks to be these guys in this spot. You think about Cano and Pujols and the closers of 15 years ago. It's like they finally got up to the turnstile and the ticket taker said 'no, we're full now.'

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

The thought of Harper in the Korean league intrigues me.

ByungHo Park hit .343 .436 .714 1.150 with 53 HR his last year there. Then hit .191 .275 .409 .684 with 12 HR in MLB the next year.