GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 22 19, 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB Payroll Spending
PostPosted: February 17 19, 2:53 am 
Fringe Major League Player

I can't speak for all MLB players and all former MLB players, but I can tell you how one thinks about this issue, and a few here would be surprised by his comments. I'll share one, but I had a long conversation with him recently and if you have any questions, I'll pass along his answers without his name.

Question number one: I asked what do you think about these ten year deals that some players are reported to be asking?

His answer started with a question, what do you think is a fair length of contract? I said whatever they can get, but I understand why owners are hesitant to offer long-term after the age of 32. He said you'll be surprised by my answer, I don't think any contract for any player should be over three years.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 8:36 am 
The Last Word

Didn't Joe Mauer just say that he thought everyone should be on one-year contracts?

Edit: Sorry, it looks like it was Trevor Bauer

PostPosted: February 17 19, 8:42 am 
'Burb Boy

Trevor Bauer also will get shot in the nuts with a paintball gun if he signs a multi year deal.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 8:55 am 
The Last Word

I'm not sure what that means...... but OK.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 9:01 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Can we get a thread titled “mcg/bas v Soc11/MAGA” so they stop flaming every other thread.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 9:04 am 
'Burb Boy

Socnorb11 wrote:
I'm not sure what that means...... but OK.

It means Trevor Bauer is an idiot.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 9:21 am 
The Prodigal Son Returns

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Can we get a thread titled “mcg/bas v Soc11/MAGA” so they stop flaming every other thread.

Agreed.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 9:23 am 
The Last Word

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

No need.

You're right...... I need to make more effort to not get sucked into this nonsense. I'll work on it.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 9:37 am 
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it's idiotic for players to all go to one year contracts. At least for the average player that would get paid their worth the first year in the bigs.

PostPosted: February 17 19, 11:33 am 
Fringe Major League Player

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
LOL

Your fiction is terrible

It's the truth, I have no reason to lie. Now I'm sure not every ballplayer feels that way, but he had a very interesting take on the subject.

He believes those deals just end up hurting the rest of the roster's ability to earn, it effects extensions, it effects future moves, because most teams won't just eat those deals and move on if they go bad...He went on to say even though there's no salary cap every organization has their limit, and it's just a bad idea to tie up that much payroll long-term. He said if the deals were shorter, teams would be able to adjust easier from year to year.

I ask what he thought about shorter deals with larger AAV, like some suggest. He says that's worse, because it still effects the rest of the roster, teams aren't going to move their limit. They're a business and they all know it (the players), he said most of what you hear in the media is just people trying to sway public opinion. They're positioning for the work stoppage. He also believes there will be a quick compromise because players are scared of alienating the the fan-bases.

He went on to say the problem is revenue, what the top teams earn, this confuses the situation because the average fan thinks every team should spend that way. He went on to say that's just not realistic, teams like The Yanks have always had an advantage no matter what era. There will never be a true equal playing field until there's true revenue sharing and he doesn't believe that will ever happen. He also said he believes to much parity isn't good, he believes dynasties/super teams actually help interest with the fringe fans when it comes to ratings during the national games and the playoffs.

Like I said this is surprising coming from a 10 year vet that's been out of the league for 13 years now, but he's a businessman and maybe he just see's both sides of the labor issue. Now remember this is just one former players opinion, it's like the old saying, opinions are like butt holes everyone has one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next