What's your Harper Hunch?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by tlombard »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:It should also be noted that the Nationals aren't financing a stadium, or a downtown renovation, while the Cardinals are.
I love this idea they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. It's adding to the hugely financially successful BPV, and will make them a fortune. It's not stopping them signing anyone.
Why aren't the Nationals doing the same thing then?
Based on a check of Google Maps, they don't have the space right across the stadium to do something like BPV. At first it appeared that there was some empty ground between the stadium and the river but then I noticed construction equipment and a quick little search tells me that the land has been developed since the Google Maps images were taken. Their best location options to build something like BPV would require them to buyout either a broadcasting station or the DC Water Works (maybe not water works, but some public utility) and having them relocate. That doesn't sound profitable.

:D

Having that big empty lot from the demolition of the old stadium really worked in the Cards favor when it came to BPV in addition to having BPV be a part of the conditions to get help with the new stadium so that the stadium was planned with BPV in mind to allow the sight lines that it does and fit everything together as well as it has turned out so far.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Thanks tlombard. Good information, and good points.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I was going to say Washington's scum quotient was lower than the Cards, but whatever.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

33anda3rd wrote:
haltz wrote:
You're like the guys on here who were arguing with me 7 years ago that Pujols wasn't already 2 years into a decline.
How dare you. You got lucky.
psssshhhhhh.

The numbers don't lie, haltz. I was saying in 2012 that the decline had begun and people were arguing with me that it had not. Go look on fangraphs today and tell me when the decline began.

That's part of why I'm the GRB Resident Expert On Aging Curves Among Pro Jocks.
Not 2012. You were saying that the decline had begun in 2010 when he led the league in OPS+.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

tlombard wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:It should also be noted that the Nationals aren't financing a stadium, or a downtown renovation, while the Cardinals are.
I love this idea they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. It's adding to the hugely financially successful BPV, and will make them a fortune. It's not stopping them signing anyone.
Based on a check of Google Maps, they don't have the space right across the stadium to do something like BPV. At first it appeared that there was some empty ground between the stadium and the river but then I noticed construction equipment and a quick little search tells me that the land has been developed since the Google Maps images were taken. Their best location options to build something like BPV would require them to buyout either a broadcasting station or the DC Water Works (maybe not water works, but some public utility) and having them relocate. That doesn't sound profitable.

Having that big empty lot from the demolition of the old stadium really worked in the Cards favor when it came to BPV in addition to having BPV be a part of the conditions to get help with the new stadium so that the stadium was planned with BPV in mind to allow the sight lines that it does and fit everything together as well as it has turned out so far.
The main entry point into the park is in left field, especially for those taking the metro to the game. The block just north of the entry (surrounded by First, Capitol, N & M Streets could become a BPV-type development, whether or not the team owns it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Radbird wrote:
tlombard wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:

The main entry point into the park is in left field, especially for those taking the metro to the game. The block just north of the entry (surrounded by First, Capitol, N & M Streets could become a BPV-type development, whether or not the team owns it.
Yep. Besides that entire area was developed along with the ball park.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Remember this quote from a couple years ago? If 80% of the BPV apartments are leased by February 1, DeWitt will sign Harper.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i always hear that "monster mash" song when i see this thread

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

haltz wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
haltz wrote:
You're like the guys on here who were arguing with me 7 years ago that Pujols wasn't already 2 years into a decline.
How dare you. You got lucky.
psssshhhhhh.

The numbers don't lie, haltz. I was saying in 2012 that the decline had begun and people were arguing with me that it had not. Go look on fangraphs today and tell me when the decline began.

That's part of why I'm the GRB Resident Expert On Aging Curves Among Pro Jocks.
Not 2012. You were saying that the decline had begun in 2010 when he led the league in OPS+.
You'r right, I was saying in 2010 that his decline had begun. And in 2010 he was 2 years into decline.
2008 .459 wOBA / 8,7 fWAR
2009 .447 wOBA / 8.4 fWAR
2010 .419 wOBA / 6.8 fWAR
2011 .384 wOBA / 4.0 fWAR
That's decline, year-over-year, steadily, since his peak in 2008. It was small, then it got bigger b/c that's what it tends to do, right? That he led the league in OPS+ in 2010 is meaningless. He was 5th in wOBA that year after leading the league in that measure the two years prior.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Hoot45 wrote:Remember this quote from a couple years ago? If 80% of the BPV apartments are leased by February 1, DeWitt will sign Harper.

This quote is complete and total owner-speak and means next to nothing. It's a slight variation on what every single owner says when they are asking the city for hundreds of millions of dollars to build them a new stadium. This is just things they say to get the city to approve this project and sell it to the public. I would not read a lot into it. (I think you were joking, but still)