GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 24 19, 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:17 pm 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 34241
Location: Austin, TX
haltz wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
jagtrader wrote:
It was all about topping Stanton. What a weird way to live.

Proof of this claim?

Quote:
They wanted to top the $325 million contract of Giancarlo Stanton, the existing record, and they needed three more years out of Middleton to get it done.


How does a direct quote saying "we wanted to top Stanton" have anything to do with whether or not they wanted to top Stanton?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:21 pm 
Offline
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 19610
Location: Columbus, OH
heyzeus wrote:
haltz wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
jagtrader wrote:
It was all about topping Stanton. What a weird way to live.

Proof of this claim?

Quote:
They wanted to top the $325 million contract of Giancarlo Stanton, the existing record, and they needed three more years out of Middleton to get it done.


How does a direct quote saying "we wanted to top Stanton" have anything to do with whether or not they wanted to top Stanton?


Every time I see the words top Stanton I get excited


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:23 pm 
Offline
Master of Hyperbole
User avatar

Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am
Posts: 4925
???

“It was all about topping Stanton” is just BS. The dragging of four months because of Giancarlo Stanton is not true.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:25 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 54528
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:27 pm 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 26875
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
???

“It was all about topping Stanton” is just BS. The dragging of four months because of Giancarlo Stanton is not true.


What proof do you have that it is false?

Sure sounds like there was a lot of interest for shorter deals at higher AAV's that didn't top Stanton's overall deal. 4 months later, they found that deal.

I'm not going to say it is true or false, but it certainly looks like there was a lot of interest in making sure the total was >$325MM.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:45 pm 
Offline
MacGyver of Underwear
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Posts: 12238
Location: South City
wart57 wrote:
The World will have ended before this contract does, so it was a good signing by the Phillies.


I heard that David Tennant will save the world with time travel in year 8 of this contract, with a side effect that the economy and value of the dollar will suddenly-and-will-have-always-been the same as in 1920. Hw won't be able to change the contract though, citing it as a fixed point in time and saying that he was, "so, so sorry." So, rough deal for Phi.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:53 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36195
Location: Huis Clos
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
???

“It was all about topping Stanton” is just BS. The dragging of four months because of Giancarlo Stanton is not true.


You always know a lot of stuff that you can’t possibly know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 1:59 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Posts: 19833
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
???

“It was all about topping Stanton” is just BS. The dragging of four months because of Giancarlo Stanton is not true.

Quote:
Starting with the Friday dinner, it took one last whirlwind of a week for Boras to work his stagecraft and get the years needed to surpass the Stanton contract. On Saturday the Middletons ate with the Harpers again, this time for lunch before John and Leigh zipped back to Florida on their private jet. On Sunday, with the exhaust from Middleton’s jet barely dissipated, a contingent from the Dodgers flew into McCarran Airport in Las Vegas to offer Harper a record amount of money per year, but only on a deal covering four or five years. (The top average annual value bid to Harper was $43 million; Boras would not confirm it was from the Dodgers.) On Tuesday, right behind their divisional rival, the Giants jetted in with a 12-year offer worth around $310 million. All the stagecraft had the desired effect.

On Thursday morning Middleton called Boras to offer $330 million over 13 years. Boras hung up the phone and at 11:34 am PT he called Harper. Kayla joined Bryce on the phone.

“I’ve got it,” Boras said. “I’ve got the terms of the final deal. Just give me the okay and it’s done.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 2:02 pm 
Offline
Master of Hyperbole
User avatar

Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am
Posts: 4925
I see what you're saying, I just think it's a little insincere to go "yeah the past few months all came down to one upping Stanton's deal" when yes, he wanted the biggest deal in history given his FA entry age, skill, etc. Keyword is "all"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 1 19, 2:08 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Posts: 19833
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
If your argument is reduced to pedantic literalism maybe you should just say that Jag was right on the money.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group