Mets players give endearing "thumbs down" gesture to fans

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Mets players give endearing "thumbs down" gesture to fans

Post by heyzeus »

https://nypost.com/2021/08/29/frustrate ... umbs-down/
The Mets’ disappointing season took a different kind of jaw-dropping turn Sunday, when Javier Baez said the new “thumbs-down” sign players have been displaying on the bases is directed at the Citi Field fans.

Baez, Francisco Lindor and Kevin Pillar were among the players who turned thumbs down after delivering hits in the Mets’ 9-4 victory over the Nationals.

Asked about the thumbs down, Baez said it was related to the boos Mets players have received. The Mets are 8-19 in August, a stretch in which they have fallen from first in the NL East to trailing the Braves by 7 ½ games.

“[It’s] to let [fans] know when we don’t have success we are going to get booed, so they are going to get booed when we have success,” Baez said.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Mets players give endearing "thumbs down" gesture to fans

Post by Popeye_Card »

That'll show 'em!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Javier Baez is a pending free agent. This...is not how you enhance your market value.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Wow. I guess he definitely doesn't want to be back with the Mets next season. If so, that's one sure fire way to make sure he isn't. Maybe he isn't an idiot (I still think he is) but he could actually be handling his future in a somewhat smart way I guess.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Lindor and Walker and Stroman have had problems with that fanbase too and also voicing out about it.

Not unique to Baez. And the stupid owner is fueling it.

Let Players Show Emotion. I hope to live in a baseball era where this whole “play the game the right way” thing is gone away forever.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on August 30 21, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

While I understand the frustration of Mets fans, they should be directing their ire at their dumbass owner, not the players.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

how does this have anything to do with "playing the game the right way"? this seems to be about under performing

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
August 30 21, 7:52 am
Lindor and Walker and Stroman have had problems with that fanbase too and also voicing out about it.

Let Players Show Emotion. I hope to live in a baseball era where this whole “play the game the right way” thing is gone away forever.
I mean, there's playing the game with emotion (good! bat flips and celebrations are fun!) and then there's intentionally insulting the fans after getting a hit because you were sad that they booed you one time when the team was sucking. Those are very different things.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

heyzeus wrote:
August 30 21, 8:04 am
Big Amoco Sign wrote:

I mean, there's playing the game with emotion (good! bat flips and celebrations are fun!) and then there's intentionally insulting the fans after getting a hit because you were sad that they booed you one time when the team was sucking. Those are very different things.
I think they are the same thing. I respectfully disagree.

There’s so many unwritten rules around which kind of emotion is good/bad. ICE had a good post in the “other games” thread about this.

There’s layers to this. It isn’t “Baez says [expletive] you to fans” it’s the entire season with fans and NY media slamming Lindor and Stroman and Walker. It’s the owner. It’s many things. I might agree more if it was just some one off Baez being a dick. That’s not it. Baez is right that this is a game of failure and fans forget that.

Do NY fans own a mirror?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

heyzeus wrote:
August 30 21, 8:04 am
Big Amoco Sign wrote:

To add to this, it’s good that Baez is an expressive person on the field, so it’s a really bad look to police other people’s emotions.